[council]

RE: [nc-budget] Re: [council] Motion: Alternative Solutions to lowerthe expenses of DNSO

Vany:

I respect your (non-commercial, developing country, low budget) position, as
I worked for UNIDO for 5 years, doing great things in developing countries,
for low (grant) funds.

However, ICANN is a business, and a VERY IMPORTANT one. Volunteer efforts
are commendable, but volunteer efforts can not be held accountable as there
is no contract, payment, and guarantee of service.

We need to contract for the services we need. That way, we can control the
deliverables, and hold the service contractor accountable.

In ccTLD, we donate to the maintenance of our secretariat, and we "hustle"
sponsors for our meetings, for the lunch, for the administration of the
meetings, etc. Our workers in our secretariat need to make a living wage,
and have certainty of employment. So we make sure we pay them!

We are in business, Vany, and we need to act accordingly.

Now as to sponsors and donors, I am totally in favor of that. That is why
and how we (the NC) have developed the concept of a "voluntary fund" to hire
a "policy officer" or professional executive to be the "point person" and
deal with media, speaking engagements, etc.

Bottom line- I support "donations" and "sponsorships", and I support fully
paid staff to do the work we need done. I do NOT support using volunteers to
perform any mission-critical  tasks for us. (the NC)

regards

peter de Blanc