[council]

[council] KABISSA-FAHAMU NEWSLETTER NO 15 - Introducing Kabissa

KABISSA-FAHAMU NEWSLETTER NO 15 * 2478 SUBSCRIBERS *
Introducing Kabissa - Space for change in Africa

1. Editorial
2. Conflict, Emergencies, and Crises
3. Rights and Democracy
4. Corruption
5. Health
6. Education and Social Welfare
7. Women and Gender
8. Refugees and Forced Migration
9. Racism and Xenophobia (new!)
10. Environment
11. Media
12. Development
13. Internet and Technology
14. eNewsletters and Mailing Lists
15. Fundraising
16. Courses, Seminars, and Workshops
17. Advocacy Resources
18. Jobs
19. Books and Arts
20. Members Corner
21. Letters and Comments

This newsletter is about sharing information. Submit your news to our Editor
editor@kabissa.org. Read current and back issues online at
http://www.kabissa.org/lists/newsletter-l/current.html

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

1. EDITORIAL: INTRODUCING KABISSA - SPACE FOR CHANGE IN AFRICA

The Kabissa-fahamu Newsletter has grown rapidly. Along with it, the services
provided by Kabissa – space for change in Africa – have also grown. But what
are these services? Since we continue to receive requests for information,
we thought it might be useful for us to tell you a bit more about Kabissa.

Kabissa is dedicated to strengthening the capacity of African non-profit
organisations to use the full potential of the Internet in the interest of
building civil society and democracy in Africa. We operate on the principles
of inclusiveness and collaboration, and invite all organisations and
initiatives that share our goals to join as members and partners.

BACKGROUND
Access to the Internet in Africa has grown substantially over the past few
years. According to a recent survey, at the end of 1996 only 11 countries
had Internet access, but by November 2000 all 54 countries and territories
had permanent connectivity and the presence of local full service dialup
ISPs. The total number of computers permanently connected to the Internet in
Africa (excluding South Africa) finally broke the 10,000 mark at the
beginning of 1999 and in January 2000 it stood at almost 12,000, an increase
of 20%. While the cost of establishing local e-mail accounts has fallen
recently, the cost of website hosting, Internet domain names and similar
services is frequently very high, and frequently out of reach of many
non-profit organisations in Africa.

Many of us working in the non-profit sector have been inundated with
requests from African NGOs seeking assistance in setting up websites,
training in the use of the internet, access to resources on the internet,
training in proposal writing, management training, and help with
establishment of electronic mailing lists. In our early work with
International Alert and the World Organisation Against Torture, we have run
workshops and provided technical assistance to human rights organisations to
enable them to exploit the potentials of the Internet for their own
purposes.

Through this process we became aware of the difficulties such organisations
had in establishing websites and accessing resources on the Internet. In
response, we decided to invest our own efforts and resources in establishing
an entity called "Kabissa" (meaning "complete" in Kiswahili). We set up an
Internet server in order, initially, to provide free website and e-mail
hosting for non-profit organisations in Africa. Now we are finding that
Kabissa has filled other gaps in service, in particular in empowering
African non-profits by enabling them to share essential information through
this newsletter.

SERVICES PROVIDED BY KABISSA
Interest in the initiative has grown rapidly. Within a year, we had more
than 250 user accounts on Kabissa, including 30 separate domain accounts.
Our website now has thousands of pages, receives over 400,000 hits per month
(averaging over 340 visits per day). We currently register five new members
each week.

Kabissa currently provides the following services, all of which are provided
free to African non-profit organisations (except domain registration and
hosting for which we make a modest charge):

- Web space accounts (ftp)
- E-mail mailbox accounts (pop3/imap4)
- Automated mailing lists (majordomo)
- Web-based access to website files hosted on Kabissa
- Web-based access to any e-mail mailboxes
- Web-based access to Kabissa mailing list administration
- www4mail server enabling users to retrieve web pages via e-mail
- Participation in the largest human-edited directory on the web (dmoz.org),
providing access to more than 330,000 websites
- Website promotion (dmoz.org, AfriPromote banner exchange, search engines)
- Web-based domain availability check (whois)
- Domain registration and hosting (low-cost)

We have also developed "Best Practice" documentation designed to demystify
the technology and enable African non-profit organisations to develop the
confidence to control the resources that they access through Kabissa.

KABISSA-FAHAMU NEWSLETTER
In addition to providing access to the above services, Kabissa also
established this electronic newsletter, designed to enable members and
others to share up-to-date information about events, news, and resources
available of relevance to the non-profit sector in Africa. The growth of the
newsletter in terms of content, breadth and reach has been extraordinary.
Within months of establishing it, the weekly mailing went to more than 400
subscribers. In December 2000, Kabissa and fahamu merged their respective
newsletters, resulting in a subscriber base of more than 700. Today, the
Kabissa-fahamu newsletter reaches 2,500 individuals in NGOs, international
organisations and networks, funding agencies and foundations, governments,
and the private sector. Free advertising space is provided for non-profits.
Based on our research and excellent reader feedback, we are constantly
innovating the contents of the newsletter, which now has nearly 20 printed
pages and has 21 sections for categorizing the information.

INFORMATION SHARING DATABASE
In addition to the Internet Services and the e-mail based Kabissa-fahamu
Newsletter, we also maintain a database on our website for the purpose of
organising and sharing information relevant for Africa.

Information already in the database includes:

- Member directory of African non-profit organisations, most of which are
hosting websites on our Internet Server
- Partner directory of organisations collaborating with Kabissa
- Internet Domains hosted on Kabissa
- Mailing List/eNewsletter directory
- Software Resources

We are working on "portalizing" the information and interfaces provided
through the Kabissa website and the Kabissa-fahamu Newsletter. Users of the
site will be able to log in to customize their own home page, as seen on
many other portals. African non-profits eligible for free Internet accounts
and mailing lists will be able to use the portal interface to manage their
accounts. We will be able to administrate users, allocate access and posting
privileges, and monitor and evaluate the usage of our website. These are
standard features on portal websites these days.

What sets Kabissa apart from other typical portals is that we intend to
innovate in directions that enable African organisations to share their
information using means and media relevant and appropriate for them. For
this purpose we are gathering information about useful software that is
freely available under "open source" licensing agreements.

Our goal for the Kabissa database is to enable African organisations to take
control of information-sharing opportunities provided by the web, e-mail,
cdrom and print. All four media are tremendously important for Africa:

- The web is ideal for collaborative maintenance and organising of
information amongst organisations that have made the investment to be
"information providers".
- E-mail remains by far the most relevant Internet application, used far
more than the Web or any other service. For Kabissa users, E-mail is and
shall remain for some time the most efficient means for transmitting and
receiving current information.
- CDROM provides offline access to the "search and browse" capabilities
usually reserved for the web. Thousands of pages of information can be
shared in this way, along with large software programs and other files that
otherwise would have to be downloaded from the Internet at prohibitive
expense.
- Print is a media that is too often overlooked in this age of sexy Internet
applications. While the web is ideal for maintaining and organising
information, when it comes to getting practical information, the most handy
source remains a telephone book or some other printed publication.

We are developing our database so that we can provide access to essential
information through a portal website and CDROMs and print publications. At
the same time, we have a view to enabling organisations and individuals in
Africa to perform the same function for their community. This would require
training, but it would also require new software to retrieve, organise and
output relevant information using your own computer.

STRENGTHENING THE CAPACITY OF AFRICAN ORGANISATIONS
All of our efforts are intended ultimately to contribute to strengthening
the capacity of African organisations to carry out their important work. In
this context, we are pleased to be involved in the Adilisha Project,
established by Fahamu, which seeks to strengthen the campaigning, advocacy
and organisational capacity of human rights organisations in southern Africa
through the development of computer and internet based distance learning
materials. Kabissa has been involved in providing support for the project’s
information and communication technology work, including the development of
appropriate databases, hosting and technical maintenance of the project’s
websites and mailing lists. Kabissa also assists in sourcing information on
human rights in Africa (disseminated through the Kabissa-fahamu Newsletter)
and provides expert input, through the Adilisha Advisory Board, to the
development of a CDROM-based training course on the 'Use of the Internet for
Advocacy and Research'.

COLLABORATE WITH US
As we are working with Adilisha and our other partners, so we also want to
work with you. Join us to create an African platform for information sharing
and collaboration using the Internet. If your organisation provides services
in Africa that contribute to this end, we would love to hear from you.

REGISTER YOUR FREE KABISSA MEMBERSHIP ACCOUNT
http://www.kabissa.org/cgi-bin/webhome/signup.cgi
Organisations working in the African non-profit sector are eligible for
Kabissa Membership. Kabissa Members are listed in our member directory, and
are eligible for free standard Internet accounts on the Kabissa Internet
server. This provides you with web space and mailboxes for your staff, and
support for standard scripts such as forms (see FAQ). If you already have a
website, you may choose to place a 'mirror' (or copy) of your website in
your Kabissa account.

REGISTER YOUR INTERNET DOMAIN ON KABISSA
http://www.kabissa.org/domainreq.html
Domain hosting is available on Kabissa at low cost. We can register domains
for $70 (we recommend those ending in .org) and host them on Kabissa for a
$35 setup fee and $60 annual hosting fee. You can also transfer your domain
to Kabissa or host domains you wish to register independently. Hosted
websites and mailboxes are linked directly with member Internet accounts.

KABISSA FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
http://www.kabissa.org/faq.html
The Kabissa Frequently Asked Questions page is your "first port of call" for
questions with Kabissa membership and making your start on the Internet.
Section headings are:
1. Communicating with colleagues within your country and abroad
2. Accessing Information on the Internet
3. The use of Internet in the African non-profit sector
4. Kabissa Membership
5. Using Kabissa Electronic Mail Accounts
6. Using Kabissa to Make your Organisation’s Information Available
7. Using your Kabissa Website
8. Taking advantage of Kabissa Website features
9. Promoting your Organisation on the Internet
10. Setting up an Internet Domain Name for your Organisation
11. Making payments to Kabissa

Contact: tobias@kabissa.org

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

2. CONFLICT, EMERGENCIES, AND CRISES
RWANDA SAYS CONGO ENEMIES FLOUT PULLBACK PLAN
http://europe.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/africa/03/24/congo.rwanda.reut/index.html
Rwanda has accused its opponents in the war in the Democratic Republic of
Congo of not withdrawing in line with a U.N. disengagement plan, dismissing
U.N. statements that withdrawals are on schedule.

ETHIOPIAN TROOPS FOUND INSIDE UN BUFFER ZONE
http://www.newafrica.com/news/articlepg1.asp?ID=17672
Ethiopian troops have been found inside a buffer zone intended to keep apart
the once-warring armies of Horn of Africa neighbors Ethiopia and Eritrea,
the United Nations said on Thursday.

CONGO'S NEW PRESIDENT MEETS THE WORLD
http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=532762
Joseph Kabila is making a good impression in western capitals. But the
issues at the heart of Congo's war remain unresolved.

LANDMINES & AID
Egypt has not acceded to the Mine Ban Treaty. Speaking at the UN, an
Egyptian representative stated that the treaty "did not take into
consideration the legitimate right of States for self-defense, including the
use of landmines in certain conditions."
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=109

SECURITY CRISES PLAGUE AFRICA
http://www.una-uk.org/Comment/africa.html
Stalemate in the Western Sahara. Stand-off in Sierra Leone. The headlines go
on. What hope is there that conflict-torn parts of Africa will pull
themselves out of a vicious cycle of poverty, human rights abuse and
violence? A United Nations watchdog attempts to point the way for the
international community.

CONFLICT TOPS AGENDA OF EU-ACP TALKS
http://www.oneworld.org/ips2/mar01/22_24_069.html
Staving off conflict and finding paths to peace are top of the agenda at a
meeting of lawmakers from the European Parliament and African, Caribbean and
Pacific countries.

UN TROOPS CAPTURE KEY SIERRA LEONEAN TOWN
http://www.reliefweb.int/IRIN/wa/countrystories/sierraleone/20010316.phtml
United Nations peacekeeping troops last week took control of the strategic
Sierra Leonean town of Lunsar, marking a major step in the UN's effort to
occupy territory held by the anti-government Revolutionary United Front.

TORTURE IN KENYA PRISONS CONTINUES
http://allafrica.com/stories/200103240096.html
More than a year after the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture, Sir Nigel
Rodley, visited the country to assess the condition of police cells, the
situation seems the same, if not worse.

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

3. RIGHTS AND DEMOCRACY

BUSH TO NOMINATE WAR CRIMES ENVOY
President Bush said yesterday he intends to nominate an ambassador-at-large
for war crimes issues, after weeks of speculation that his administration
might reduce the Clinton administration's commitment to international
institutions of justice.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=110

UN INTERNATIONAL DAY IN SUPPORT OF VICTIMS OF TORTURE
On 26 June 2001, individuals and organizations worldwide will join the
international campaign to commemorate the UN International Day in Support of
Victims of Torture. This year, the IRCT is coordinating the fourth
consecutive global campaign to support these events in every region of the
world. We hope that you will also be a part of this special day.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=111

AWARD FOR HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS
The World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT) - a member of the Martin
Ennals Foundation - is pleased to announce that: Peace Brigades
International wins 2001 Martin Ennals Award for Human Rights Defenders.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=112

ELEMENTS FOR A HUMAN RIGHTS ACTIVISTS COURSE AND CURRICULUM
http://www.afronets.org/document.htm
Claudio Schuftan's paper "Elements For A Human Rights Activists Course And
Curriculum" can be downloaded as WORD f. WINDOWS file (44 kB).

BURUNDI: BETWEEN HOPE AND FEAR
In a report published today, Amnesty International appealed to all parties
in Burundi's civil war to immediately halt deliberate killings of unarmed
civilians and to act responsibly to prevent a slide into human rights
catastrophe.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=114

WORLD BANK INFORMATION DISCLOSURE POLICY VIOLATES INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS
One of the world's most powerful international financial institutions is
violating international standards on freedom of information. The World
Bank's review of its own information disclosure policy singularly fails to
guarantee the public's right to know and allows individual countries the
right to veto disclosure of information. ARTICLE 19, the Global Campaign for
Free Expression, demands that the institution substantially revise its
proposals.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=118

BIBLIOGRAPHY ON ICC AND JUSTICE
The following contains a bibliography on international human rights and
criminal law, including the ICC and issues related to the ratification and
implementation, that could be useful to academics, delegations, and groups
working in these fields. Please also note that the Coalition website has a
link to an extensive ICC bibliography.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=119

MEDIA FOUNDATION DEFENDS LIBERIAN JOURNALISTS
The Media Foundation for West Africa (MFWA), based in Accra, Ghana, is
sending a team of human rights lawyers from Ghana and Nigeria to Liberia to
assist in the defense of the four journalists detained on the charge of
espionage.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=120

UK: ICC BILL PASSED
The UK ICC Bill passed in the Lords last night, 20th March and has been
passed to the House of Commons. We have no idea of the timetable but can
expect the 1st reading very soon. This is a procedural point only when the
Commons notes that the Bill has been passed to it from the Lords.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=121

EGYPTIAN LAW, POLICIES ENCOURAGE TORTURE - RIGHTS GROUP
Egypt's legal, political and social climate encourages the use of torture
during detention and leaves victims without adequate means of redress, an
Egyptian human rights group said on Monday.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=122

HURIDOCS MANUAL: WHAT IS DOCUMENTATION?
HURIDOCS gladly announces a new series of brief, practical manuals aimed to
help build the capacity of human rights organisations with regard to
monitoring and documentation.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=123

HUMAN RIGHTS AND THE POLICE: A TRAINING MANUAL
This manual is being used in basic courses at police academies in Denmark.
It offers a course framework and various useful overheads and handouts. The
course consists of two parts: "Life, Freedom, and Liberty and Security of
Person" (freedom of assembly, use of force, right to life) and "Equal
Rights" (rights of refugees, protection against discrimination). The manual
includes overheads and handouts on the European and UN systems, methods of
investigation, questions concerning detainees' rights, and the "Rockerloven"
and "Jersild" cases in Denmark.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=124

ELECTION OF JUDGES FOR THE INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL TRIBUNAL FOR YUGOSLAVIA
Attached is a memo and copies of reports from the Coalition regarding the
election of judges for the International Criminal Tribunal for Yugoslavia
(ICTY).
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=125

RESOURCE BOOK: SOCIO ECONOMIC RIGHTS IN SOUTH AFRICA
The Socio-Economic Rights contained in the South African Constitution are
the result of a long struggle against many years of apartheid poverty,
discrimination and inequality. But what do these hardwon rights, such as
land and health care rights, mean for people in their everyday lives? What l
aws and institutions are available to assist people in protecting and
advancing these rights?
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=127

PETITION FOR A BETTER NIGERIA
The following is our petition to the National Assembly, the Attorney General
and the Presidency. Please read and join us as signatories to the letter.
Please forward your response by e-mail.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=128
Contact: ekennyk2001@yahoo.com

UN HUMAN RIGHTS CHIEF TO STEP DOWN
http://www.europaworld.org/issue27/outofofficewillmaryrobinson23301.htm
The United Nations Commissioner for Human Rights this week announced her
decision not to stand for a second four-year term in the world's top human
rights post. But, once out of office, will she regret it?

SAFETY FEARS RISE AFTER NUJOMA'S ANTI-GAY TIRADE
http://www.reliefweb.int/IRIN/sa/countrystories/namibia/20010321.phtml
Namibian President Sam Nujoma's attack on homosexuals this week could lead
to violence against innocent citizens, says a local human rights group.

SENEGAL BARS CHARGES AGAINST CHAD EX-DICTATOR
http://www.hrw.org/press/2001/03/habre0320.htm
Senegal's highest court yesterday ruled that Chad's exiled former president,
Hissène Habré, could not stand trial on torture charges because his alleged
crimes were not committed in Senegal.

UN ANGOLA MISSION 'ALARMED' BY RIGHTS ABUSES
http://www.reliefweb.int/IRIN/sa/countrystories/angola/20010319.phtml
A United Nations-led inter-agency mission to Angola has reacted with alarm
to the numerous allegations of human rights abuses it heard on its six-day
visit.

SUDAN GOVERNMENT DENIES ATROCITIES CLAIMS
http://www.reliefweb.int/IRIN/cea/countrystories/sudan/20010319.phtml
The Sudanese government has denied claims by British development agency
Christian Aid that atrocities are being committed by its forces in areas
around oil fields.

MUGABE REJECTS INTERNATIONAL BAR ASSOCIATION REPORT
http://allafrica.com/stories/200103230226.html
The Zimbabwe government will not accept the report of the International Bar
Association (IBA) following its recent inquiry into the independence of the
judiciary, the Zimbabwe Independent has learnt. A spokesman said whatever
the findings of the IBA, the team had already demonstrated that it was
partial by refusing to consult all stakeholders on the issue of the
judiciary. One of the team's members compared Zimbabwe's fasttrack land grab
to apartheid policies.

CIVIL SOCIETY ORGANISATIONS REJECT CHANGES TO CONSTITUTION
http://allafrica.com/stories/200103230186.html
The Law Association of Zambia in conjunction with the Church, that is to say
the Zambia Episcopal Conference (ZEC), The Christian Council of Zambia
(CCZ), The Evangelical Fellowship of Zambia (EFZ) and the Non-Governmental
Organisations Coordinating Committee (NGOCC) and the People gathered here,
having deemed it necessary, expedient, imperative and desirable to promote
and conduct a debate in relation to the intimation by the ruling party, the
Movement for Multi-Party Democracy (MMD) to amend the Republican
Constitution to provide a third term of office in order to facilitate the
eligibility of the incumbent President FTJ Chiluba in the forthcoming
Presidential and Parliamentary Elections.

NEW SADC CHIEF SWORN IN
http://allafrica.com/stories/200103230161.html
Newly-appointed SADC Executive Secretary Prega Ramsamy was on Friday sworn
in by Namibia's Chief Justice Johan Strydom in the presence of the current
SADC chairman, Namibian President Sam Nujoma.

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

4. CORRUPTION

NIGERIANS' HOPES IN ELECTED LEADER FADE
When Nigeria threw off military rule and restored democracy in 1999, the
country's newly elected leaders immediately set their sights on eliminating
the worst aspects of the old regime. They ended long lines at gasoline
stations. They set about shoring up the country's crumbling infrastructure.
They went to war on corruption and tried to balance the books.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=129

MOZAMBIQUE'S DOWNWARD SPIRAL
Some fear that Carlos Cardoso's murder might never be fully investigated as
'many more crimes' would be uncovered. It has been more than three months
since the assassination of Mozambique's leading investigative journalist,
Carlos Cardoso.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=130

SOUTH AFRICA: FRAUD AT EASTERN CAPE DEPT TRANSPORT
The Public Service Accountability Monitor (an independent research and
monitoring unit based at Rhodes University) has criticized the Eastern Cape
department of Transport for failing to take effective disciplinary action
over a five year period against a senior state accountant who was arrested
for allegedly attempting to defraud the department of R950000 in 1996.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=131

NIGERIA: ANGLICAN CHURCH CONDEMNS CORRUPTION
In a statement by its Primate Peter Akinola and Secretary, Samuel Akinola,
the church regarded as the second largest in Nigeria noted that public
office holders brazenly display "conspicuous affluence" in contrast to the
level of poverty in the country. It said: "Political office holders at
federal, state and local government over-provide for themselves, a mass
wealth and live in affluence out of public funds".
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=132

SOUTH AFRICA: TOP COP ACCUSED OF EXTORTION QUITS
Top cop accused of extortion quits. One of Durban's top policemen resigned
this week after allegedly being caught attempting to extort R10 000 from a
city doctor.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=133

KENYA: CORRUPTION BILLS PRIORITY FOR KENYAN PARLIAMENT
President Daniel Arap Moi of Kenya has said African states must work
together to meet the challenges posed by globalisation.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=134

SIKANETA FAILS TO CLEAR ZAMBIA'S NAME
Ministry of Information and Broadcasting Services permanent secretary Susan
Sikaneta on Friday tried in vain to deny the existence of rampant corruption
in government.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=135

NYANGA DECLARATION
Transparency International Launches Campaign To Repatriate Africa’s Stolen
Wealth
The members of the United Nations should adopt an international treaty to
expedite the tracing, recovery and repatriation of wealth stolen from
developing countries and transferred abroad, declared the representatives of
Transparency International from 11 African countries, following a meeting
held in Nyanga, Zimbabwe, on 1-4 March 2001.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=208
Contact: press@transparency.org

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

5. HEALTH
KAISER DAILY HIV/AIDS REPORT: EDITORIALS ADDRESS NEED FOR ASSISTANCE
Editorials Address Need For Assistance From Developed World To Fight
Several newspaper editorials this week have addressed the price reductions
and patent relaxations on AIDS drugs by Merck & Co. and Bristol-Myers
Squibb, as well as the need for developed nations of the world to offer more
humanitarian aid to African nations in order to assure the purchase,
distribution andmonitoring of such drugs.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=136

GLOBAL TB CONTROL REPORT 2001
http://www.who.int/gtb/publications/globrep01/index.html
The WHO has recently published the Global TB Control Report 2001, showing
that only 23% of the world's TB cases are treated in DOTS programmes. The
report can be downloaded from our website and is also available in hard
copy.
Contact: desplobainsm@who.int

IMMUNIZATION FOCUS, MARCH 2001
The March 2001 issue of Immunization Focus, an "e-published" quarterly from
the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunization (GAVI) is now available on
the GAVI website.

Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=139

KAISER DAILY HIV/AIDS REPORT
March 21 headlines include:
* One in Nine South Africans Living With HIV, Government Survey Shows
* Some Catholic Priests Sexually Abuse Nuns, Sometimes to Avoid HIV
Infection, Reports Say
* TAC 'Demands' HIV/AIDS Treatment Plan from South African Government
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=140

HEALTH INFORMATION FORUM PROCEEDINGS
16 JANUARY 2001, British Medical Association, London
THEME: Donation and distribution of physical health information materials:
books, journals, newsletters, CD-ROMs...
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=141
Contact: INASP_Health@compuserve.com

CONTRIBUTIONS TO GUIDELINES FOR REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH
The School of Human Genetics and Population Health (SOHGAPH) Kolkata along
with Gana Unnayan Parshad (GUP) Kolkata, India is coming up with a new
manual called 'Guidelines for Facilitators and Grass Root Workers in
Reproductive/Sexual Health Projects of the Third World'.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=142

INTERNET ACCESS TO MEDICAL JOURNALS
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/20/health/20JOUR.html?searchpv=nytToday
On 31st January, the New York Times writer Eric Nagourney wrote to 'HIF-net
at WHO' for input on how the internet is affecting access to medical
journals in developing countries. The resulting article is now available
online.

DATELINE HEALTH NIGERIA NO. 12, MARCH 20, 2001
DATELINE HEALTH NIGERIA is a health communication initiative of the Centre
for Health Policy and Strategic Studies (CHPSS), Lagos, Nigeria. Critical
comments on format, quality and content are welcome.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=144

MSF PROTEST PETITION
The Access Campaign is implementing an initiative consisting in gathering as
many signatures as possible to protest the lawsuit lodged by 39
pharmaceutical companies against the Government of South Africa's recently
approved legislation to render essential drugs affordable.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=145

CAPE TOWN SURGEON IMPLANTS SOUTH AFRICA'S FIRST ARTIFICIAL HEART
Willie Koen, head of the transplant unit and the 'Berlin Heart' Surgeons at
a Cape Town hospital implanted an artificial heart into the chest of a man
who was rushed into their unit after cardiac failure last night.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=146

VISION IS NEEDED TO ADDRESS PROBLEM OF GLOBAL HEALTH
On 4th January this year, Peter Singer posted an article on 'HIF-net at WHO'
on the subject of 'Global Alliance for Health Information'. The following
letter is from this week's BMJ (17 March) under the title 'Vision is needed
to address problem of global health information'.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=147

EURO MPS STEP INTO SOUTH AFRICAN AIDS DRUGS BATTLE
http://www.oxfam.org.uk/whatnew/press/cutcost-sa5.htm
European parliamentarians have passed an emergency resolution calling on 39
pharmaceuticals firms to drop their lawsuit against the South African
government over a law aimed at opening the way for cheaper AIDS drug
production.

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

6. EDUCATION AND SOCIAL WELFARE
COSATU: PEOPLE'S HISTORY IN SCHOOLS
COSATU welcomes the launch of the South African Democracy Education Trust.
We believe that this initiative is an important step toward recording the
history of our people's history struggle for freedom. It must form part of
an urgent process to ensure that our country's real history is taught in the
schools.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=149

SPEAKEASY STUTTERING ASSOCIATION OF SOUTH AFRICA (SPEAKEASY SA)
Holds regular monthly self-help group meetings, in Johannesburg, Pretoria,
Cape Town, Durban, Port Elizabeth & Potchefstroom. If you stutter or have a
family member or friend who stutters and would like to join a self-help
group near you, please contact the Speakeasy National Office for details on
011 883 0292 or email.
Contact: robbie.cameron@pixie.co.za

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

7. WOMEN AND GENDER
GIRLS ADAPT TO THE NEW WORLD OF WORK WHILE BOYS STILL LAG BEHIND
While girls are focusing more on their futures and are prepared to study
hard, boys are still adopting anti-work 'laddish' attitudes which hold back
their educational development, according to new ESRC-funded research.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=206

COUNTRIES WITH SMALLER GENDER GAPS HAVE LESS POVERTY AND FASTER GROWTH
Countries that promote women's rights and increase their access to resources
and schooling have lower poverty rates, faster economic growth and less
corruption than countries that do not, says a recently published World Bank
report, EnGendering Development - Through Gender Equality in Rights,
Resources and Voice.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=207

WOMEN REJECT MUSEVENI ELECTORAL COLLEGE SYSTEM
http://allafrica.com/stories/200103240044.html
Women rights activists have protested against President Yoweri Museveni's
decision to ask Parliament to restore the electoral college system for
electing district women MPs.

"We strongly support universal adult suffrage and the secret ballot as modes
of electing district women representatives. We therefore object to the
presidential veto against this (electoral colleges) and call upon MPs to re-
affirm the position they adopted in the Parliamentary Elections Bill 2000,"
the Coalition for Political Accountability to Women (COPAW) said yesterday.
New Vision.

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

8. REFUGEES AND FORCED MIGRATION

BURUNDI: AN OPPORTUNITY TO SAVE LIVES
The prospects for resolution of the humanitarian and political crisis in
Burundi continue to look very bleak. There is an opportunity, however, at
this moment for the international community to help save lives in the
Northeastern provinces - the most populous region in Burundi. But the
Government of Burundi, the United Nations, and international NGOs must act
in concert immediately to avert further suffering of the Burundian people.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=150

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

9. RACISM AND XENOPHOBIA

UN RECRUITMENT CLOUDED BY RACE BIAS CLAIMS
http://www.oneworld.org/ips2/mar01/23_10_084.html
Most United Nations staff from Europe and North America were offered
higher-level jobs at the time of their recruitment than their counterparts
from Asia, Africa and Latin America, says a new report by a UN working
group.

UN CALLS FOR NEW EFFORTS IN ANTI-RACISM FIGHT
http://www.oneworld.org/ips2/mar01/18_32_065.html
The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Mary Robinson, has called on the
World Conference Against Racism - to be held in South Africa later this
year - to come-up with practical ways to make a "seminal difference" in the
fight against racism and xenophobia around the world.

RACIAL VIOLENCE IN UK ON THE INCREASE
Institute Of Race Relations Publishes New Report
http://www.irr.org.uk
Two years after Macpherson reported into the handling of the Stephen
Lawrence case, the Institute of Race Relations reports that racial violence
is becoming more serious and prevalent. Nineteen people have lost their
lives in the UK in racially motivated attacks since February 1999.
Increasingly, serious racial violence is being perpetrated against members
of newly-arrived and asylum- seeker communities. Despite the fact that half
of Macpherson's recommendations were about racial violence, especially how
the police and Crown Prosecution Service should act over such cases,
families of victims remain dissatisfied with the lack of will to take such
racism seriously. Commissioned for London Boroughs Grants - a funder for
London's voluntary sector - this report, Counting the cost, suggests that,
although most voluntary groups are beginning to tackle the ways their
personnel and structures contribute to an inadvertent racism, in line with
Macpherson's definition of 'institutional racism', they have yet to meet the
challenge of racial violence. Advocacy and support from community groups,
concludes the report can, "transform a case into an issue. And the issue, in
turn, can influence the policy agenda."

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

10. ENVIRONMENT

FOOT AND MOUTH CRISIS
Rwanda, Uganda, Tanzania (in French)
http://www.woya.com/news/french/pana/articles/2001/03/08/FRE095.shtml

SPECIAL REPORT ON THE FOOT AND MOUTH DISEASE IN EUROPE
http://www.guardian.co.uk/footandmouth/

POPULATION-ENVIRONMENT RESOURCES WEB PAGE
http://www.jhuccp.org/popenviro/

KENYAN HERDERS PROTEST FOOT AND MOUTH SLAUGHTER
http://europe.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/africa/03/23/kenya.foot.and.mouth.ap/index.
html
Cows are central to the lives of the nomadic herdsmen who have been deeply
disturbed by news that hundreds of thousands of livestock have been killed
in faraway Britain in a bid to stamp out an outbreak of foot-and-mouth
disease.

WORLD WATER DAY
Concrete efforts are necessary to provide clean drinking water and improve
health as well as to increase awareness world-wide of the problems and of
the solutions. 22 March is a unique occasion to remind everybody that
solutions are possible. Use the resources on this WHO site to help turn
words into political commitment and action.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=155

KENYA: WHO FAVOURS AND WHO DESTROYS FOREST BIODIVERSITY?
Governments should be directly responsible for the conservation of the
natural and cultural heritage of their respective countries and people.
Nevertheless, what frequently happens in the South is that the authorities
act in collusion with powerful internal and external interests, and to the
detriment of the country's biodiversity, and thus against the welfare of the
population they are supposed to protect. This is what is going on in Kenya.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=156

INTEGRATED WATER RESOURCE MANAGEMENT WORKSHOP
In recent years, interest in integrated water resource management (IWRM) has
risen significantly throughout the world due to the increasing demands
placed on such a limited natural resource. Integrated Water Resource
Management Workshop October 15-19, 2001 Denver, Colorado, USA
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=157

SAVE THE KENYAN FORESTS PETITION
The Save the Kenyan forests Petition to The Kenyan Government was created by
The Nile Basin Society and written by Nabil El-Khodari. The petition is
hosted at www.PetitionOnline.com as a public service.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=158

KENYA: STATE IGNORES DIRECTIVE ON FORESTS
Surveyors were busy demarcating Hombe Forest in Mt Kenya despite a ruling by
the High Court stopping the government from excising 167,000 acres of forest
land.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=159

TRADE POLICIES NEED GREEN ANGLE, SAY OFFICIALS
http://www.oneworld.org/ips2/mar01/21_57_084.html
Trade policies need green angle, say officials Government ministers and
high-level officials from over 70 countries this week declared that
environmental issues should be taken into account during negotiations on new
trade agreements.

FRESH OUTCRY OVER WEST AFRICAN PIPELINE
http://www.foei.org/whatsnew/19_march_pipeline.htm
The World Bank has admitted providing technical support for a controversial
West African gas pipeline prompting an outcry from local environmentalists
over its backing of potentially damaging energy projects.

GREENPEACE INTERNATIONAL FOUNDER DIES IN CAR CRASH
David McTaggart, the founder of Greenpeace International, was killed Friday
in a head-on car crash on a country road in central Italy. He was 68.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=201

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

11. MEDIA

MEDIA CHANNEL UPDATES
Find newspapers and news sites worldwide with quick links to over 600 news
sources sorted by region and country.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=161

WORLD NEWSPAPER CONGRESS, HONG KONG, JUNE 2001
Newspapers that take their classified advertising onto the web do not lose
print revenues. That is just one of the findings in a major new study of
on-line classifieds that will be presented to participants at the 54th World
Newspaper Congress and 8th World Editors Forum, the global meetings of the
world's press that will be held in Hong Kong from 3 to 6 June.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=175

24 JOURNALISTS KILLED IN 2000
http://www.cpj.org/attacks00/pages_att00/news_release.html
Two dozen journalists were killed in the line of duty last year and 81
serving stiff jail sentences at the end of the year were the apparent
victims of retaliation by governments which found their work too
inflammatory or embarrassing, according to latest figures from a global
press watchdog.

GOVERNMENT SLAPS ADVERTISING BAN ON "THE NAMIBIAN" NEWSPAPER
http://www.misanet.org/alerts/20010323.namibia.0.html
Media Institute of Southern Africa (MISA)report that the Namibian government
has slapped an advertising boycott on "The Namibian" newspaper, claiming the
newspaper is too critical of its policies, the paper reported on Friday 23
March 2001.

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

12. DEVELOPMENT
UN: HORN OF AFRICA DEVELOPMENT DISCUSSION
"It is within the capacity of the countries concerned and the international
community to eliminate famine and tackle food insecurity in the Horn of
Africa," says the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) at the start of
a meeting of donors on the Horn of Africa initiative.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=213

IMF: US$112 MILLION PRGF FOR ETHIOPIA
The Executive Board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) approved in
principle a three-year arrangement for Ethiopia under the Poverty Reduction
and Growth Facility (PRGF)1 for SDR 87 million (about US$112 million) to
support the government's 2000/01-2002/03 economic program.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=212

DRIVING FORWARD IN REVERSE GEAR
The Dilemma Of Developing Africa!
One dilemma that continues to puzzle development workers in Africa is how to
get rural communities to participate in identifying their collective
problems, analyzing them, ranking / prioritizing and generally initiating
and managing sustainable projects with a high chance of solving these
problems both in the short and long term.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=211

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

13. INTERNET AND TECHNOLOGY

ONLINE FORUM ON TECHNOLOGY PLANNING FOR NON-PROFITS
How can technology planning support your organization's communications
goals? Where can you find support in developing a plan? How does technology
planning fit into your overall organizational planning? This discussion
with technology experts and nonprofit colleagues will help you determine
when and how it makes sense for your organization to develop a technology
plan. Pose your questions to tech experts, share your own experiences and
find out, for example, how other nonprofits are using technology plans to
advocate for funding.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=247

TANZANIA TELECOMS GOES TO MSI CELLULAR
http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/telecoms/2001/0103151249.asp]
MSI Cellular has taken management control of the Tanzania Telecommunications
Company after a first payment of $60 million for a stake in the company. The
deal may leave four other operators, including Vodacom, out in the cold. [15
March 2001]

L'INTERNET AU BéNIN
Dans le cadre de l'organisation de la fête de l'internet au Bénin édition
2001, les associations ORIDEV et ISOC Bénin organisent un Forum de
discussion thématique sur l'internet au Bénin. Ce Forum appelé Forum
I-Bénin, durera 45 jours et aura lieu à partir du 03 mars. Trois thémes
seront discutées pendant ce forum : 1/ Amélioration de la connectivité au
Bénin 2/ Mise en oeuvre d'un NIC au Bénin 3/ Promotion de contenu béninois
sur Internet Chaque théme sera discuté durant deux semaines. Chacun de ces
thémes sera introduit par un texte rédigé par un spécialiste de la question.
Toute personne s'intéressant aux Nouvelles Technologies, étudiant(e),
professionnel(le) de l'informatique ou de l'internet, fournisseurs d'accès,
et particulier, peut s'abonner au Forum.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=163

IBSA AND ECI TO COLLABORATE ON WEBSTREAM PROJECT IN NIGERIA
African American nonprofit will team up with global US teleconferencing firm
to bring the 6th African African American Summit to the world via Internet
Rev. Leon H. Sullivan will convene the 6th African African American Summit
in Abuja, Nigeria on May 21 - 25, 2001. The 'Summit of Hope' hosted by the
President Olusegun Obasanjo: Federal Republic of Nigeria will bring together
ten thousand delegates from across the United States, Africa, Asia, Europe
and the Caribbean in the spirit of purpose to help forge a new Africa. In
partnership with executive Conference, Inc., (ECI) a leader in providing
global teleconferencing services and International Black Student Alliance,
Inc. (IBSA) an international nonprofit organization, the 'Summit of Hope'
will finally be bought to the world stage using the advanced technology of
'Web Streaming' donated by ECI as friends of Africa.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=165
Contact: ibsa@networksplus.net

TUAC, ICFTU CONCERNS RELATED TO THE WORK OF THE DOT FORCE
With regard to the current work of the DOT Force and the related debate on
bridging the digital divide, the Trade Union Advisory Committee to the OECD
(TUAC) and the International Confederation of Free Trade Unions (ICFTU) have
made the following observations.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=166

'MADDOG' TO HEADLINE LINUX AFRICA 2001
Followers of the Linux and Opensource movements will not want to miss the
appearance of the legendary John 'Maddog' Hall at the Linux Africa 2001
conference, hosted by AITEC and the Linux Professional's Association of
South Africa, from 24 to 26 April 2001 at the Kyalami Exhibition and
Conference Centre, Johannesburg.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=167

NEW SANGONET WEBSITE
http://www.sn.apc.org/
SANGONeT is a facilitator in the effective and empowering use of information
communication technology (ICT) tools by development and social justice
actors in Africa. We aim to share information, build capacity and link
people and organisations through the use of ICTs. We have over a decade's
experience in servicing civil society organisations in Africa.

AFRICAN INTERNET CONNECTIVITY
At this Web site you'll find information about Internet access
on the African continent. The details range from information on Internet,
telecommunications to related IT Infrastructure in Africa.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=202

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

14. eNEWSLETTERS AND MAILING LISTS

DISCOVERY-NETWORK UPDATE
MARCH 19, 2001
A daily update on human rights and democratic development of the Institute
of Human Rights and Humanitarian Law based in Port Harcourt, Nigeria.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=115

WEST AFRICA NEWSLETTER
This is the WEST AFRICA NEWSLETTER, a new source of reporting on human
rights, democracy and development news and networking.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=117

EANMAT NEWSLETTER
The East African Network For Monitoring Antimalarial Treatment
http://www.kmis.org
The 8th edition of the EANMAT newsletter can be viewed on the Kenya
Malaria Information Service site at: http://www.kmis.org.

MEDIA UPDATE # 2001/11
Monday 12th March To Sunday 18th March 2001
Of note in the week is the extent to which the Zimbabwe Independent (March
16) relied on unconfirmed reports for its front-page stories. Although it is
generally accepted that the privately owned media is severely handicapped
when trying to access information from government and the public due to the
politically intolerant climate, in the interests of the public, of fairness
and of its own credibility, the media have an obligation to seek and publish
comment from opposing sides. In The Zimbabwe Independent's stories however,
there was no indication that the reporters had tried to access comment from
the government, Zanu PF, Department of Information or the Reserve Bank of
Zimbabwe.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=160

NEWatIFPRI LIST SERVER
Subscribe to our NEWatIFPRI list server to receive announcements of new
publications and other events at IFPRI. You may do so directly from our
website at http://www.ifpri.org/new/NEWatIFPRI.htm.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=169

NEWS UPDATE 51 - CAPE TOWN SPECIAL: A CREATIVE CITY IN THE MAKING?
Balancing Act News Update
Cape Town is one of the few cities on the African continent that can make a
claim for being a creative city. News Update's Russell Southwood looks at
what this means, why it's important to the development of new media in
Africa and how Cape Town measures up when looked at from this viewpoint.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=170
Contact: info@balancingact-africa.com

EQUINET-L NEWSLETTER NO 5, 26 MARCH 2001
Newsletter of the Network for Equity in Health in Southern Africa (EQUINET)
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=214
Contact: info@equinet.org.zw

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

15. FUNDRAISING

PHILANTHROPY NEWS DIGEST
To search the complete PND archive (300+ issues dating to January 1995),
visit Philanthropy News Digest on the World Wide Web
(http://fdncenter.org/pnd/search.cfm). Have a question about foundations,
philanthropy, or fundraising? Visit our online reference service at:
http://fdncenter.org/learn/librarian/
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=172

SOUTH AFRICA: PEOPLE TO PEOPLE SEMINAR
Meet The Best In Fundraising From North America & South Africa
A delegation of over 40 American fundraising specialists is coming to SA to
facilitate the transference of expertise. There will be a full days
programme of presentations and discussion groups on all aspects of
fundraising, facilitated by both American and South African specialists,
leading towards an exchange of ideas and information.
Contact: robbie.cameron@pixie.co.za

SOUTH AFRICA: INTRODUCTION TO FUNDRAISING
Presented By Ann Bown (SAIF President)
12 April 2001 - this all day workshop is a must for anyone starting out in
the fundraising profession. You will be given insights into new trends in
fundraising and the fundraising cycle; the importance of planning to
fundraise, how to identify potential donors and how to write corporate
proposals, plus lots more information on income generation. Full details and
booking forms from SAIF National Centre 011 884 0351 or email.
Contact: robbie.cameron@pixie.co.za

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

16. COURSES, SEMINARS, AND WORKSHOPS
IIS/IDF SEMINAR ON IMPACT EVALUATION OF SERVICES AND PROJECTS
IIS/IDF Development and Information 01 Seminar on Impact Evaluation of
Services and Projects is being held at the London Voluntary Sector Resource
Centre, Holloway, London on Wednesday 6 June 2001.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=173

PROCEEDINGS OF THE 1999 MIM PAN-AFRICAN CONFERENCE
Now available in hard copy!
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=174
Contact: mimcongress@mrc.ac.za

GLOBALIZATION AND WATER MANAGEMENT: CALL FOR PAPERS
First Call For Papers (abstracts Due April 30th, 2001)
Hosted by Dundee University Water Law and Policy Programme & American Water
Resources Association
University of Dundee, Scotland, August 6th-8th, 2001
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=176

MIT - AFRICA INTERNET TECHNOLOGY INITIATIVE
Role Of Students In Bridging The Digital Divide
Learn about the IT problems facing Africa and how you can help solve them.
Register for a FREE CONFERENCE , April 6, 2001.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=177
Contact: mit-africa@mit.edu

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

17. ADVOCACY RESOURCES

WEB-BANNER: DROP-THE-CASE PETITION OF MSF
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) asks to support South Africa's efforts to
make essential medicines more accessible to its people by signing a global
petition by April 15. Under the following page you will find the example of
banner to add to your web-site along with corresponding HTML code:
http://nucwww.chem.sunysb.edu/prevges/dropthecase.html

WATER & HEALTH ADVOCACY
A Practical Guide For World Water Day 2001
http://www.worldwaterday.org/advocacy/index.html
Water is one of the earth's most precious and threatened resources. Health
is one of each person's most precious resources. We need to protect and
enhance them both.

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

18. JOBS

THE DRUM BEAT - VACANCIES SPECIAL - MARCH 21, 2001
VACANCIES - 20 Organisations, 30 Positions
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=180

CONSULTANT UNV
Central African Republic
I have the pleasure to send you herewith the terms of reference for a
consultation UNV plans to organise in Central African Republic. The
consultation should take place next month (April) and the UNV consultant
committee would probably meet the coming week (26-30 March) to select a
candidate.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=181
Contact: lars.bernd@unv.org

HIV/AIDS ADVISOR, MALAWI
Vacancy For Save The Children
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=182

INTERNSHIP IN HUMAN RIGHTS
Centre For Philosophy Of Law - BRUSSELS
Internships in Human Rights within the Centre for Philosophy of Law at the
Free University of Brussels - Human Rights Programme - Creation of a Human
Rights website - Offer available for students in law, English speakers - One
month minimum - Unpaid internship - Accommodations in Brussels paid under
conditions.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=183

LEGAL ASSISTANT - ASYLUM PROGRAM
Job Category: Legal
Type: Full time
Salary: $27,000 - $30,000
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=184

ADMIN ASSISTANT: HUMAN RIGHTS LAW GROUP
Job Category: Administration
Type: Full time
Salary: Salary dependent on experience, ranging from mid to upper 20s.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=185

PHD/DRPH STUDENTSHIPS IN MALARIA RESEARCH
Applications are invited for a number of PhD or DrPH studentships to be held
at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM), the Liverpool
School of Tropical Medicine (LSTM), the Centre for Medical Parasitology,
University of Copenhagen (CMP) and the Danish Bilharziasis Laboratory (DBL)
as a component of a generous award by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=186

BUKAVU - DRC PROGRAM OFFICER
Job Category: Legal
Type: Full time
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=188

INTERNS FOR THE IMADR OFFICE IN GENEVA
FOR UN COMMISSION OF HUMAN RIGHTS
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=189

COMMITTEE TO PROTECT JOURNALISTS
Research Associate, Europe & Central Asia Program
(Salary: $28,000 plus benefits, for full-time work. A part-time arrangement
may be possible.)
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=198

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

19. BOOKS AND ARTS

NEVER THE SAME AGAIN: ZIMBABWE'S GROWTH TOWARDS DEMOCRACY 1980 - 2000
We needed a short survey of Zimbabwean political development which is
accessible to a wide range of people and this book answers that need.
Starting with the premise that genuine democracy depends on the growth of
civil society structures, it shows how these were systematicly stifled by
ZANU PF in the 1980's. Then, in the 1990's, in response to the effects of
structural adjustment, they gradually emerged, with the trade unions leading
the way. Demands for a new constitution by the umbrella National
Constitutional Assembly awakened the people to the possibilities of protest.
The result was ZANU PF's first defeat in the constitutional referendum in
February 2000 and the stiff challenge put up by the opposition Movement for
Democratic Change in the June parliamentary elections.
Further details: http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.php?id=179

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

20. MEMBERS CORNER

RURAL HEALTH INTEGRATED
http://www.kabissa.org/rhi_gh
Rural Help Integrated aims at improving the quality of life in the rural
communities by the delivery of high quality Reproductive Health Services to
the youth, men and women of reproductive age and the improvement of gender
equity.

Primary Contact: Ms. Pascalina Abilba, Project Assistant
(rhi_gh@kabissa.org)
Secondary Contact: Ms. Mary Atigre, Project Coordinator (rhi_gh@kabissa.org)
Street and Mailing Address: P. O. Box 166, Bolgatanga, UER, Ghana

THE TRAVELLING FOLK HIGH SCHOOL
http://www.drhbogense.dk3.com
Volunteers needed in Africa Social Work with Street children Build Schools
and Clinics Teach agriculture, carpentry and literacy Environmental Projects
Prevent Spreading of HIV/AIDS.

Primary Contact: Karin Overgard (drh@post3.tele.dk)
Secondary Contact: Maciek (drhbogense@kabissa.org)
Street and Mailing Address: Stegovej 2 5400 Bogense Denmark
Telephone Numbers: 0045 64813215 0045 64813205

MRA RESEARCH CENTRE
http://www.kabissa.org/mraresearch
The MRA RESEARCH CENTRE aims to undertake research into diseases and
therapeutics of local interest without the bottlenecks of Government
bureaucracy. Research findings are the properties of the community and will
be released to pharmaceutical companies at the terminal stage (development).
The companies are in turn required to provide the drugs at the cheapest
rates / or free within the community.

Primary Contact: Dr Bello Shuaib Oricha (bello@rcl.nig.com)
Secondary Contact: Dr Bala Yauri Muhammad (balamuhammad@usa.net)
Street and Mailing Address: P.o.BOX 1522 EMIR yahaya ROAD Sokoto, Nigeria
Telephone Numbers: +234 60 230450
Fax Numbers: +234 60 230450

AFRICAN WORLD FRIENDSHIP COMMITTEE(AWFC)
http://www.kabissa.org/awfc
The mission of AWFC is to promote mutual understanding and friendship
between Africans of the African continent and those living in the Diaspora.

Primary Contact: Martin V Burrows Jr. (martin_burrows@hotmail.com)
Secondary Contact: none (awfc@kabissa.org)
Street and Mailing Address: 103 Glider Avenue Riverhead, NY 11901 USA
Telephone Numbers: Senegal 221-630-80-98

COMMON CAUSE AFRICA-CANADA
http://www.kabissa.org/ccac2000
CCAC is a non profit, non-government organization based in Ottawa Canada
with a mission to promote and develop youth organizations across Africa
committed to sustainable youth development, youth policy reseach and
advocacy, democratic governance, transparency, decentralized
decision-making, community and full public accountability.

Primary Contact: Collins Olajide Babalola (ccac2000@kabissa.org)
Secondary Contact: Wale Adeoye (Nigeria) (ccac2000@kabissa.org)
Street and Mailing Address: 219 Aryle Street, Suite B 6 Ottawa Ontario. K1B
4L8 canada.
Telephone Numbers: 1-613-232-9634 ext 465 1-613-563-8181 Direct-line 1-613-
613-737-6654 Residence
Fax Numbers: 1-613-232-3660 Fax

OPTONEWS AFRICA
http://www.kabissa.org/ona
ONA is a non governmental initiative dedicated to improving Visual and Eye
Health in Africa. OptoNews Africa basically deals with information sharing
and distribution as its major activity. It is also involved in making low
cost eye services available to people of low income in the target area.

Primary Contact: Frank Magupa (fl_magupa@usa.net)
Secondary Contact: Eden Rodrick (edenmashayo@usa.net)
Street and Mailing Address: P O Box 10733 Arusha Tanzania
Telephone Numbers: +61 400 182 211 +255 744 311 321

PELUM UGANDA
http://www.kabissa.org/pelumuganda
PELUM Association was formed in 1992 by a number of countries in East and
Southern Africa and aims at enabling organisations from member countries to
share and combine experiences, skills and knowledge to help improve the
quality of life of the small holder farmer and their use of land. PELUM
Associaiton has nine member countries: Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe
(Regional Desk), Botswana, Lesotho, South Africa, Malawi and Uganda, which
was registered as a member of PELUM Association in 1995.

Primary Contact: Emily Drani (cdrn@imul.com)
Secondary Contact: Emily Drani (pelumuganda@kabissa.org)
Street and Mailing Address: CDRN, P. O. BOX 3791, KAMPALA. UGANDA

GAB TANZANIA
http://www.kabissa.org/gabtanzania
GAB-Tanzania is a National Gender Advisory Board of UN-Commission for
Science and Technology for Development (UNCSTD)in Tanzania. The focal point
is established and hosted by Tanzania Commission for Science and Technology
(COSTECH).

Primary Contact: Steven D. M. Mlote (mlote_steven@yahoo.com)
Secondary Contact: Steven D. M. Mlote (gabtanzania@kabissa.org)
Street and Mailing Address: Ali Hassani Mwinyi Road (New Bagamoyo Rd)
Kijitonyama P. O. Box 4302, Dar es Salaam Tanzania
Telephone Numbers: 255-22-2700752 Mobile: 255-0741-247167
Fax Numbers: 255-22-275313

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

21. LETTERS AND COMMENTS

TUIJA PARTONEN, GASPP ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER
Thank you for sending this newsletter to us. We appreciate it greatly.

FROM HENDREI PIRENTZ MPHATHIWA
http://www.bocongo.bw
God only knows where you got my e-mail address..but I am glad you did. I
worked for Botswana Council of Nongovernmental Organisations once and since
then I love working with NGOs. Though I am currently residing in London, I
am still in close contact with NGOs in Southern Africa.
Contact: bocongo@bocongo.bw

FROM AOUA KONATE, CENTRE D'INFORMATION ET DE DOCUMENTATION DE L'UNION
INTERAFRICAINE DES DROITS DE L'HOMME (CID-UIDH)
After your newsletter N° 11, we failed to open the other numbers we
received, I don't know why. Could you please send me again.

Our response: see http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.html to view all back
issues. You can request it by e-mail by sending a message to
www4mail@kabissa.org with only the above web address in the body of your
message.
Contact: ciduidh@fasonet.bf

Your feedback is invaluable to us. Please send your comments to
<editor@kabissa.org>

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

THIS NEWSLETTER IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY KABISSA AND FAHAMU

Kabissa - Space for change in Africa
5130 Connecticut Ave, NW #306, Washington DC 20008, USA
Tel/Fax: +1-202-237-1408
info@kabissa.org
http://www.kabissa.org

fahamu - learning for change
38 Western Road, Oxford OX1 4LG, UK
info@fahamu.org
http://www.fahamu.org

The newsletter reaches individuals in NGOs, international organizations and
networks, funding agencies and foundations, governments, and the private
sector. We can provide free advertising space for non-profits, although
space is limited. Write to for details.

Reproduction and sharing of the information in this newsletter is
encouraged, as long as the source is specified. In case of reproduction on
the web, the name Kabissa-fahamu must figure prominently in the form of a
link pointing to http://www.kabissa.org/newsletter.html. In the case of
redistribution by e-mail, the above URL must be included in full along with
the e-mail address <editor@kabissa.org>. In case of print reproduction, the
name Kabisssa-fahamu must figure prominently. Mention of the above e-mail
address and URL would be appreciated.

The views expressed in this newsletter do not necessarily represent those of
Kabissa and fahamu.

(c) Kabissa and fahamu, 2001.