[council]

[council] .com/.net/.org Whois Committee Makes Recommendations on Staff Implementation Questions 1 and 2

To the Names Council:

The .com/.net/.org Whois Committee has submitted a response to Questions
1 and 2 of my 1 December 2001 letter to the Committee.  The letter posed
11 questions about implementation of the Whois provisions of the
.com/.net/.org registrar agreements.  Questions 1 and 2 are as follows:

Question 1: Should registrars provide Whois replies in a standard
format? Currently, registrars use a wide variety of formats for Whois
efforts of registrars to provide a seamless, TLD-wide,
domain-name-lookup capability. While this would not satisfy the
long-delayed goal of restoring full TLD-wide Whois service, it would at
least ameliorate the delay in achieving that goal.

Question 2: If a standard format is to be encouraged, what should it be?

The Committee's response is copied below and posted on the ICANN web
site at
<http://www.icann.org/committees/whois/committee-recommendations-06mar01.htm>.

Best regards,

Louis Touton