[council]

Re: [council] FW: Draft 1.2 for the NC-Review

Theresa and all on the Review committee
congratulations on the draft 1.2 of the review work.
This sets out the key questions for your work and this is right.

I have a couple of comments:
- from a communications perspective the preamble about how the NC works, the
relationship to ICANN is necessary but could this not be shorter ?

- the draft mostly poses questions but mixes in a few bits of feedback which
are either the opinion of the committee or individuals in the GA. This is an
uncomfortable mix. A better first draft would objectively pose the
questions. Lets leave input for later.

- the case for the Individual constituency being a "special case" is not
justified in the text. Why not include this within the section on
Constituencies ? Additionally the text about the Individuals Constituency
misses the key point - representation. How do you ensure that individuals
who choose to form an individual constituency represent the vast interests
of individuals ? Without legitimacy, we introduce partial views and allow
unfair capture.

- there is a contradiction between the questions about the functioning of
working groups and the suggestion we might form one for the individual
constituency. We need to improve the functioning of these groups before we
create new ones. This is the essence of our task.

Philip