RE: [names] Re: [council] Urgent! : response is required : ICANN Yokohama

Andrew,

You wrote:

>ICANN will be webcasting the ICANN Public Forum and Board meeting on
the
>15th and 16th of July.  The ICANN tech team (led, as before, by the
able Ben
>Edelman) will be setting up equipment on July 13 and 14, so that
meeting
>hall will not be available those two days.  Ben has been working with
Hiro
>Hotta and Masa Maruyama to keep that meeting room free for tech set-up
on 13
>and 14 July.
>
>Obviously, we have no objection to some outside party paying for a DNSO

>webcast -- that would clearly be a good thing.  But what you suggest
>(putting all DNSO NC, GA, and ICANN Board meetings into the same room)
is
>not feasible;  it would involve significant additional cost (and may
well be
>impossible) for the local organizers to rent the main meeting hall from
 the
>12th, and neither ICANN nor the local hosts will absorb that extra
cost.
>Moreover, Ben may well be unable or unwilling to do the DNSO webcast
>himself -- the DNSO would have to negotiate an arrangement with Ben or
hire
>a different contractor.

Ben & his crew know the people already, including the online
participants, and to start all over with somebody else makes little
sense if any at all.

>In any event, I think that the conference center in Yokohama will
support a
>webcast in any of its meeting halls.  Perhaps Hiro can confirm that the

>NC/GA meeting hall is suitable for webcasting, in which case a webcast
would
>be possible in the event that funding can be located.

The problem is not "just" the Webcast, but also the management of the
online comments, and all that jazz.
Moreover, if a different room is used, I assume that we need some setup
in that room also, that cannot be done in one day only (as noted by Ben)
, multiplying the costs with the multiplication of the rooms.
We need to be practical: either we find (quickly) funds and plan on
doing every Webcasted meeting in the same room, or we drop the Webcast
requirement.

BTW, Ben, how much would be the additional cost for GA+NC Webcast, on
top of what planned already for coverage of ICANN meetings?

Thanks
Roberto

>--Andrew

BoD