Re: [names] Re: [council] Urgent! : response is required : ICANN Yokohama

Ben,
thank you very much for your quick response and consideration.

NC,
we have to hurry in making our decision.

Hiro

At 00/04/26 22:22, hirofumi hotta wrote:
> Date: 26 Apr 2000 22:20:00 +0900
> From: "Ben Edelman"<edelman@law.harvard.edu>
> Subject: RE: [names] Re: [council] Urgent! : response is required :  ICANN
 Yokohama
@digitel.net,philip.sheppard@aim.be,maruyama@nic.ad.jp,yumi@nic.ad.jp

> [...]
> webcast.  In fact, I previously took the decision already to have been
> made -- that there would be no DNSO webcasting in Yokohama, as stated in
> <http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20000331.NCtelecon-minutes.html> (B.9), in
> various council@dnso.org messages, and on the most recent NC
> teleconferences.  On that understanding, I sent Masa (and others) room
> requests, dates, and other details (most recently my Wed 4/19/00 11:30 PM
> email) that did not anticipate webcasting DNSO meetings.
>
> If the Names Council wanted to change that decision, it's not yet too late
> to do so *assuming the main hall can be reserved on July 12*.  If the room
> is not available, no webcast (using Berkman Center equipment or staff) will
> be possible on July 14, for if the room isn't available for setup on the
> 12th (as well as the 13th), then we'll be doing setup on the 13th and 14th.
>
> My biggest worry here is that the question of whether or not to webcast the
> DNSO's Yokohama meetings will be deferred, greatly complicating the work of
> meeting planners, and perhaps substantially increasing local organizers'
> costs of room rental.  Speaking for my own team, I'm not prepared to bring
> us to Japan a day earlier than necessary if it's not certain that funding
> and rooms are available to make possible the DNSO webcasts; as we travel on
> non-refundable not-easily-changeable tickets, and as some of us have other
> personal plans contingent on our Yokohama obligations, it's therefore
> important to me that the DNSO state with certainty that funding for the
> webcast is or is not available.  In particular, it's not sufficient to try
> to keep options open in the hope of getting funding later; enough other
> questions depend on whether or not the DNSO's meetings are to be webcast
> that to attempt to remain flexible in that respect unduly sacrifices other
> important goals (namely efficiency and simplicity of planning, cost
> reduction both for organizers and for ICANN, etc.).
>
> In short, then, my sense is that a decision has to be made -- indeed, had to
> be made (and was made) nearly a month ago!  Though I definitely understand
> the desire to reconsider the question -- especially as the NC may not have
> received detailed comment from the GA and others interested in the webcast
> when the NC decided not to fund the webcast -- I urge you to make great
> haste in seeking outside funding so that a final decision can be reached
> ASAP.
>

> > My current understanding is that there is possibility to have
> >   July 13 : set-up webcasting facility at Main Hall
> >   July 14 : NC and DNSO-GA with webcasting at Main Hall
> >   July 15 : ICANN Public meeting at Main Hall
> >   July 16 : Board at Main Hall
>
> Again, this is possible *ONLY* if the main hall is available for setup on
> July 12, for experience shows it to be difficult to impossible to setup all
> the necessary equipment in a single day.

Hirofumi Hotta
R&D Strategy, NTT