[council] NC Statement on new gTLDs

The Names Council determines that the report of Working Group C and
related
comments indicate that there exists a consensus for the introduction of
new
gTLDs in a measured and responsible manner. The Names Council therefore
recommends to the ICANN Board that it establish a policy for the
introduction of new gTLDs in a measured and responsible manner, giving
due
regard in the implementation of that policy to (a) promoting orderly
registration of names during the initial phases; (b) minimizing the use
of gTLDs to carry out infringements of intellectual property rights; and
(c) recognizing the need for ensuring user confidence in the technical
operation of the new TLD and the DNS as a whole.

Because there is no recent experience in introducing new gTLDs, we
recommend
to the Board that a limited number of new top-level domains be
introduced
initially and that the future introduction of additional top-level
domains
be done only after careful evaluation of the initial introduction. The
Names
Council takes note of the fact that the WG C report indicates that
several types of domains should be considered in the initial
introduction,
these being: fully open top-level domains, restricted and chartered top-
level domains with limited scope, non-commercial domains and personal
domains. Implementation should promote competition in the domain-name
registration business at the registry and registrar levels. The Names
Council recognizes that any roll-out must not jeopardize the stability
of
the Internet, and assumes a responsible process for introducing new
gTLDs, which includes ensuring that there is close coordination with
organizations dealing with Internet protocols and standards.

To assist the Board in the task of introducing new gTLDs, the Names
Council recommends that the ICANN staff invite expressions of interest
from parties seeking to operate any new gTLD registry, with an
indication as to how they propose to ensure to promote these values.

We would like to extend our deep appreciation to the substantial number
of participants who worked so diligently in Working Groups B and C, and
want to thank them for their significant efforts in evaluating the
issues
that were referred to them.  Recognizing the Working Group C has
recently
approved additional principles and that Working Group B's formal report
was provided to us yesterday, we advise the Board that we will be
providing supplemental recommendations in the near future.