RE: [council] Next Names Council Teleconference

Elisabeth wrote:

> Maybe I am missing something, but I could not find a section in these
> documents dealing with the Intake Committee.  Can someone point me in the
> right direction?

The Intake Committee is indeed described in both of the URLs you referenced
(<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/dnso/ncprocedure> and
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/dnso/ncprocedure/slides.html>).

I used Edit-Find in my browser on the keyword Intake to locate references in
section "Highlights of the Process" subsection "Before the Meeting: Setting
the Agenda" and in section "ADAPTATION FOR LOS ANGELES MEETING" of
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/dnso/ncprocedure>.

The slides discuss the Intake Committee primarily in slides labeled "Slide
3" and "Members [of the Names Council] vote online."  You'll find slides in
the upper-right frame of your frames-aware web browser and appropriate
commentary/explanatory text in the bottom-right frame.

To save you all the trip to the web, I copy here the "Before the Meeting:
Setting the Agenda" subsection from the main explanatory document:

"Setting the agenda for future meetings is an area in which we made
considerable changes.  The foremost change is our requirement that
'proposals to consider a topic' be submitted in writing to an Intake
Committee and that a small quorum of Names Council members vote them into
the agenda. (All other proposals must be submitted in writing to the Chair
who will then add them to the agenda, either as separate items or under one
of the standard agenda items.)  We understand that this procedure adds
another layer to the preparations for each meeting, but we believe that our
procedure will reflect this increased investment. Suggesting topics of
discussion in advance provides members with more time to consider upcoming
issues.  Moreover, written submission of proposals encourages thoughtful
formulation and allows for friendly suggestions on wording and substance
prior to the meeting itself.  We also believe that the meeting will run more
smoothly if 'proposals to consider a topic' have already been formulated in
a way that encourages debate over the substance of the topic rather than
over its form.  Finally, if 'proposals to consider a topic' as well as the
actual agenda are posted online, interested stakeholders will have more time
to understand what the Names Council is doing, thereby enhancing
transparency.  This will encourage interested observers to attend Names
Council meetings, building trust between the interested parties, and
ultimately adding to ICANN’s credibility and competence as a governing
organization."

Hope this is helpful.

Ben Edelman