RE: [Fwd: [council] Invoicing ccTLD Contributions]

In general, expenditures and receipts by ICANN, the DNSO, etc., have to be
approved by the ICANN Board.  The NC has decided to solicit voluntary
contributions from the constituencies to fund its meeting-related expenses.
Accordingly, I don't have the authority to issue "invoices" in the sense of
"bills for money due."  Once the NC makes a budget/income recommendation
that is approved by the Board, the staff will have such authority.

But in the meantime, I'm more than happy to issue receipts for
contributions, or even "invoices" for contributions, if the person or
organization tells me that he/she/it wants to make a contribution.  In order
to make the accounting work properly, contributions for DNSO-related
expenses should be made to "ICANN," and should be accompanied by a note
indicating that the contribution is for DNSO-related expenses.  In addition,
the contributor should note whether the contribution should be credited to
any particular constituency.  ICANN staff will periodically report to the
Names Council for contributions received.

It is my understanding that the members of the IP constituency have
contributed US $5,000 for DNSO-related expenses, paid by check to ICANN.

As we have discussed before, ICANN has advanced the DNSO's meeting and
webcasting expenses for Berlin, Santiago, and Los Angeles, with the
expectation that the Names Council would develop a plan to fund those and
future meeting expenses.  Total DNSO meeting and webcasting expenses to date
have been approximately as follows (using the allocation principles detailed
in my prior emails of 14 September 1999, 4 October 1999, 6 October 1999):

     - Berlin:  ~ US $8,000 (meeting space and webcast)
     - Santiago: ~ US $10,500 (meeting space, webcast, Spanish and
Portuguese translation)
     - Los Angeles:  ~ US $8,000 (meeting space and webcast)

In addition, I understand that the DNSO owes the Berkman Center
approximately $2,000 for NC teleconference webcasts to date.

Assuming the usual webcast budget of $25,000 to $30,000 for Cairo, I would
expect that webcasts of Names Council and GA meetings would result in
approximately $8,000 of DNSO-attributable expenses for that round of
meetings.  We are not currently planning to do translations in Cairo, and I
will endeavor (as always) to minimize the expense of meeting spaces through
local sponsorships.

I hope this is helpful;  let me know how you'd like to proceed.

--Andrew

andrew mclaughlin            |   c.f.o. and senior adviser
internet corporation for assigned names and numbers
<mclaughlin@icann.org>   |    <http://www.icann.org>