[council] To Names Council on WG-C Deadline

To the Names Council and ICANN Counsel:
Happy New Year -- I hope the Year 2000 with be a very good year for you and
your families, and of course ICANN!

In reviewing materials to begin the new year, a few concerns about the DNSO
website and upcoming deadlines arose.  I would like to raise the following 3
issues and ask that following changes be made:

[1] Acronyms:  The DNSO website, even the main homepage, use acronyms that
are not first defined.  These include GA, WG, and NC.  This makes the website
very difficult to read and interpret for anyone who is not already familiar
with the structure and functioning of the DNSO.  I would like to request that
acronyms be replaced with the full text, and perhaps a hyperlink to a clear,
concise definition.

[2]  Chair and Alternate Chair to the General Assembly.  Roberto's name and
Harald's name have been added, but their statements of acceptance have been
dropped.  Now that they have been elected as Chair and Alternate, many people
will be looking them up for the first time.  Their statements are valuable,
and I request that the statements be linked to their names from the DNSO.ORG
page.

[3]  Comment Deadlines.  For the submission of comments to WG-C, I see a
fixed date and time for comments.  This time falls midday in the US East
Coast day and early in the US West Coast day.  It means that the majority of
a business day is lost to those who want to submit at the deadline (as many
do).  It also means that the evening is lost to noncommercial organizations,
small businesses and individuals, many of whom finalize and submit their
comments after the business day on their personal time.

    I think we set a bad precedent by imposing a fixed time and deadline for
comments.  In the physical world, such deadlines make sense:  as regulatory
agencies accept paper filings and have staffs that go home at 5:30pm.  The
Names Council has no such physical office, and the comments are being filed
electronically.  Further, deadlines exclude comments, and that is certainly
not our goal.

    In this area of commenting, I would like to hold WIPO up as a good
precedent. WIPO asked that all comments to its domain name proceeding be
submitted on a certain day -- no time, just a certain day.  This was a fair
way to handle the issue:  it allowed each country to have its full day and
night to complete comments.  If one country gets a few more hours in a day,
there is no harm.  If one country does not get its full hours in a day, I
believe there is.

    So, I formally request that the comments for the WG-C deadline on January
10 be changed to include a date only, and no time.   This change will make
the process of comment submission easier for noncommercial groups,
individuals, and small businesses.

Thank you,
Kathryn Kleiman
NCDNHC