[council] [ga] GA representation on the Names Council

____

 This message is intended for the individual or entity named above.  If you
are not the intended
 recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to
others; also please
 notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from
your system.  Thank you.
____

FWIW (which here might well not be very much), I do not think this
suggestion would be productive.  It might well ameliorate the concerns you
mention, but to what effect?  You seem to think that solving this concern
will solve this concern; I think it much more likely that it will simply
allow this concern to be replaced by another concern.  In addition, it
merely feeds the notion, wrong on both the facts and (IMO) good policy,
that the GA is/should be some independent body, with its own representation
on all relevant bodies.  The GA was intended to be nothing more than a
collection of all DNSO involved people, and a forum where everyone could
have a say;  it was certainly not intended to be an independent power
structure within the DNSO.   If there is a need/desirability for the DNSO
to be changed in some way, that is/should be a NC policy issue, taking
input from all interested parties and managing that input to a consensus;
that process should not be shortchanged/anticipated through some ad hoc
manuever as you suggest, the very existence of which would indicate that
the policy decision had already been made and only the implementation was
left to talk about.  IMO, what is needed here is NC leadership, not some
device that is aimed at simply mollifying the loud voices through a
surrender of leadership.  Of course, if the NC chooses to recommend some
restructuring of the DNSO, and can demonstrate consensus support for such,
I assume the Board would obviously give that great weight.  Personally,  I
find it odd that anyone would conclude, after only a very few months of
experience and very little direct effort by an NC that has been fully
occupied with trying to make itself into a working entity, that the NC
cannot effectively manage the consensus development process.  I at least
would like to see it try to do so and fail before we conclude it cannot be
done.
---------------------- Forwarded by Joe Sims/JonesDay on 11/17/99 07:17 PM

 (Embedded
 image moved   Raúl Echeberría <raul@inia.org.uy>