[council] Abusive e-mails

Elisabeth,

I have not caught up on all my e-mail - but I understand that a large number of
extremely abusive and insulting e-mails were directed personally at you (and
broadcast widely).  I'm very sorry that you have had to endure this sort of
abuse - it is complete unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

I would strongly support you (with support from the Names Council) taking
action to identify and prosecute the e-mail abuser - in whichever country he
actually lives.  We should be seen not to tolerate this behaviour and to treat
it for what it is - harassment - and we should make every attempt to get the
person(s) responsible arrested, prosecuted and punished.

A completely different question is whether GA and other lists should be open or
closed, moderated, filtered, etc.  I think we should have a discussion about
this at the Names Council, and, most importantly, we should ask the DNSO GA
what they want and what they are prepared to tolerate.  We (the Names Council)
should not dictate to the GA what type of lists are provided.

Dennis

Dennis Jennings
Dennis.Jennings@ucd.ie
Phone:  +353 87 220 8225 (Mobile)