RE: [council] Names Council November 2nd Meeting in LA.DOC

> Elisabeth,
>
> Thanks for your note.
>
> We also need to announce that the Working Group C report is ready for
> comment - per LA meeting. I'm not sure how we've been doing that - my
> understanding from the chair is that it's ready for commenting.
>
> Should I draft a posting? Or do we just announce? If I recall correctly, we
> just need to have an announcement sent to the right lists.

==> Theresa,

    We have in http://www.dnso.org/listsdnso.html
    a canevas for Working Groups:

    For WG-C it gives:
        Working Group C - New gTLDs
        Co-chairs: Javier Sola and Jonathan Weinberg
         * report due for (TBD)
           see also 1999/06/25 Charter for the Working Group C
         * public comments open on (TBD), close on (TBD)
         * address for public comments comments-gtlds@dnso.org,
           archives comments-gtlds (you do not need to subscribe
           to comments-gtlds@dnso.org list)
         * address wg-c@dnso.org, members wg-c members,
           archives wg-c archives

    We had also the 6th months calendar of work for the DNSO
    established by Javier according to the ICANN plans:
       http://www.dnso.org/dnso/calendardnso.html
    According to that calendar, Working Group (B, C and E) has to
    use an iteration process:
         * N (day/month/year) - Preliminary report published
           for 3 weeks comments
         * N+21 (day/month/year) - End of comments of a
           preliminary report
         * N+21+M (day/month/year) - M days later the Names
           Council deliberate (and publish a synthesis ?) on the preliminary
           report + comments, and request the WG for final report
         * N+21+M+K (day/month/year) - K days later the WG publish
           the final report for 3 weeks comments
         * N+21+M+K+21 (day/month/year) - End of comments of a
           final report
         * N+21+M+K+21+M (day/month/year) - M days later the Names
           Council deliberate and vote on final report + comments.
           According to the vote results the WG report is submitted
           or not to the ICANN Board.
    The WG-D report is for the DNSO use only, and do not need to
    be forwarded to the ICANN Board, however in my opinion
    it should be formalised and published as an official DNSO document.

    My aside questions after the recent attacks and John Klensin
    comments and advises and actions I took concerning the ga list are:
         A) Shall I suppress a public access to the WG's members lists
            as it is permanently used by spammers ?
            (Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com> alias
            "Brian C. Hollingsworth" <bholling@ix.netcom.com>
            alias Dnsipv6@aol.com David "Dude" Jenson; I belive you
            noticed poor-mind kidding with the name of David Johnson
            working for the NSI; there are more interesting observations
            about "Jeff Williams institution" when correlated with
            logs and ICANN facts, but it is another subject)

            Two additionnal comments: (1) the WGs members and only
            WGs members still have an access to "who wg-X" command,
            i.e. to the list of members (2) the published lists are
            initial ones and are not kept up to day (it is too time
            consuming with the size of WG's)
         B) Shall I announce that the access to "wgo ga" is disabled
            because of spammers and recent harmfull attacks ?
    My personal opinion is "yes" to both.

> Also, regarding the interruption to the list you'd mentioned below - on the
> next NC call we should discuss and see if we should consider an alternative,
> or how to make any announcements we might need to.

==> All security teams in every place of the Internet are working
    and advising that this end of a year will be particulary difficult,
    and that many wild hackers will targer many different innocent sites.

    The current statuts for non critical institutions is "everything except
    DNS server and minimal mailhost shall be shut down for at least 3 days,
    Dec 31 to Jan 2".

    The recent attacks convinced me definitely.

> Meanwhile, I need to get on with that 'spamming' notice.... Will send
> something to this list in the next day so we can get something posted.

==> I would appreciate. Thank you.

    Kind regards,
    Elisabeth