RE: [council] Names Council November 2nd Meeting in LA.DOC

Need your help guys and gals!!!!!

I need to prepare a statement to be posted to the GA list requesting
nomination procedures and want to make sure I got it right since I was
not at the NC meeting in which you discussed this issue.  Please review
the proposed statement and let me have your thoughts (including whether
we should move some of these dates since the Nov 19th deadline only
gives people about a week to prepare proposals, and we will need to
adopt a nomination procedure before our next scheduled conference call)

Thanks!
Caroline

Call for Nominations for the election of a Chair to the General Assembly
elected by the Names Council of the DNSO

The Bylaws of ICANN request that the Names Council elects a Chair to the
General Assembly.  Under Article VI-B, Section 4 of the Bylaws
(http://www.icann.org/general/bylaws.htm):

"(a) The GA shall be an open forum for participation in the work of the
DNSO, and open to all who are willing to contribute effort to the work
of the DNSO. The participants in the GA should be individuals who have a
knowledge of and an interest in issues pertaining to the areas for which
the DNSO has primary responsibility, and who are willing to contribute
time, effort and expertise to the work of the DNSO, including work item
proposal and development, discussion of work items, draft document
preparation, and participation in research and drafting committees and
working groups.

(b) The GA shall meet at least once a year, if possible in conjunction
with regularly scheduled meetings of the Board. To the maximum extent
practicable, all meetings should be available for online attendance as
well as physical attendance.

(c) The costs of GA meetings shall be the responsibility of the DNSO,
which may levy an equitable, cost-based fee on GA attendees to recoup
those costs. There shall be no other fees required to participate in the
GA.

(d) Participants in the GA shall nominate, pursuant to procedures
adopted by the NC and approved by the Board, persons to serve on the
Board in those seats reserved for the DNSO.

The Names Council has resolved that the first elections for such Chair
of the General Assembly will take place between the December 11th and
the 17th of December, 1999. Candidates for this election may be
nominated between the 26th of November 1999 and the 10th of December
1999.

The Names Council will elect one Chair to the General Assembly who will
serve for a period of one year. Afterwards, a Chair will be elected
every year to replace the Chair whose term has expired.

The Names Council hereby requests that the General Assembly come up with
nomination procedures for nominating candidates for election to the
Chair of the General Assembly, and that it submit proposals to the Names
Council at [ELISABETH WHAT ADDRESS???] no later than November 19th,
1999.

The nomination mechanism adopted by the Names Council and to be used to
nominate the Chair of the General Assembly will be posted in the DNSO
website no later than November 26th.  Nominations pursuant to the
nomination mechanism adopted by the Names Council must be sent by e-mail
to {ELISABETH, WHERE????] between the 26th of November 1999 and the 10th
of December 1999 (18:00 CET, see http://www.dnso.org/timeworld.html for
local time in other places). Any and all emails relating to the
nomination and election of the Chair of the General Assembly will be
published in the www.dnso.org website. Any mail sent to any other e-mail
address will not be considered.