[council] Carl Bildt - Declines Nomination

Bret and Colleagues,

<Sincere apologies for the multiple postings>

I have just spoken to Carl Bildt (who was in Rome airport on his
way back from Kosovo).  He notes the decision by the ICANN
lawyers and, as a result, he regretfully declines the nomination.

He would like to thank everyone who supported him.

I agreed with Carl that we would explore the decision of the ICANN
Board to see whether in the future a more relaxed view of the rules
could be taken - especially in cases like his. (He is a UN
consultant Special Envoy to Kofi Annan who is involved in policy
relating to the reconstruction of devastated countries like Kosovo,
with little if any telecommunications infrastructure - let alone
Internet capabilities).

If we are successful, Carl Bildt may consider making himself
available as a candidate for election by the At Large membership.

Thanks
Dennis