[council] AAA revision of Secreatriat's revised CSV

Elisabeth Porteneuve wrote:

> All,
>
> I tried to put together Andrew proposal with Amadeu input,
> I am not sure I took into account Javier's very important
> request for feasability, however it takes into account all
> NC concerns.
>
> Without major objection from your side during the next 36 hours,
> it will be considered adopted and published Sunday morning CET
> on the dnso.org website.
>
> Elisabeth
> --
>
> Convention-Style Voting adapted to the DNSO conditions.
>
> 1. Use of basic rules. The secretariat will keep votes secret
>    untill the end of election period, and at the end make all
>    records public.

AAA: agreed. No objections heard so far.

> 2. According to the current nominations, it is assumed that
>    the initial list of nominees will have candidates from all
>    5 regions.

AAA: very likely. But there is only one nominee for three out of the
five regions; and only two for a fourth one (and most of them have not
accepted). Perrhaps a new call for Nominations should be issued
shrotly to remind peoppe that this is still proceeding.

> 3. First round via email, to reduce the initial list of nominees
>    into N1. Each member of the NC cast 3 votes.

AAA: Agreed, would prefer that each member cast three votes as
preferntialvotes, and that the secreatriat vigives the results
allocating thre votes to the candidates ranked first, two to the
candidates ranked second and one to the candidates ranked third. But I
will not die on this one ;-)

The issue of ·elimination": I think that candidates with no votes, or
one vote should be eliminated. I would even support eliminating those
with only two votes (in a non-preferentaial system) and three in a
preferentail system we could go as far as four votes (menaing that the
nominee is not even the thrid-renaked preferred candidate for
somehting that goes voer one single consituency, which would cast then
three votes...). But fo the sake of simplicty, let's accept zero one
and two votes bringd the nominee out o the subsequent lists.

> 4. Second round via email, to reduce the reduced list into the
>    no more than N2. Each member of the NC cast 2 votes.

AAA: If it is understood that neither the first round nor any
subsequent rounds with m,ultiple votes can in fact ·elect· a director,
but only eleiminate form the bottom and "signal" preferneces form the
top, that's OK. But if people feel that this differnet rules for each
round are too complicated, I withdraw my suggestion for a second round
with two votes each, and we could move form the "eliminatory and
polling round" with three votes, to the real elctions  with one vote
each, thru multiple ronds. (I see the merits of a second poll with
only two votes, but once again, I won't die on it).

> 5. Third round via email, to reduce the reduced list into the
>    no more than N3. Each member of the NC cast 1 vote.

I sinerily beleive that between the "polling and eliminating" inital
round(s) and the "eliminating and eventually electing" rounds, a
telconf is a must. Say on Monday afternnooo, usual time, as I have suggested.

> 6. Subsequent rounds via teleconference plus email, election of 3.

AAA: To bne correct, election of one, then "reinserting of candidates·
and elction of the second director. And a third round for the third.
With elimination, each time of all those form the same region as the
elected. As I have suggested and Dennis echoed, 24 hours "reflection
period" among elections should be in place.

> 7. In case of a tie the special vote will be held
>    during the final NC teleconference.

AAA: No ties, as we are voting one by one, and eliminating the
less-voted nomineees. Except in the case that we have ten agaisnt ten
and one abstention...... But this is a dreadlock situation no matter
what we do, only open to "corridor" (ue, shadow) negotiatioins ;-(

[...]

> Elections will take place during 7 days, starting
> Saturday October 9, 18:00 CET, ending Saturday October 16, 18:00 CET.
> First round via email.
>       Begins: Saturday October 9, 18:00 CET
>       Ends:   Monday October 11, 18:00 CET

AAA: Objection: open up to Ocotber 11 14:30 CET, ie, half an hour
prior to the first NC Teleconf. As this is only a "poll and eliminate"
round this is plenty of time. Each NC member has three votes, so no
"fatal" deicision have to be taken yet. Let's not spend more time than
needed in what is not crucial yet.

> Votes will be sent to an address specially set up by the DNSO
> secretariat. The results will be given within two hours after
> the close of the first round.

AAA: during the telconf. You will have to encourage all NC member to
vvote as early as possible ;-)

> First round, 19 voting NC members, 3 votes each, 57 total.

AAA: or 114if preferentail voting is adopted for the first round. But
little changes.

> The initial number of nominees is unknown, but is assumed
> to be as high as 20 or more.
> Rules applied in the first round:
> 1. Verification of valid votes.
>    Each member of the NC shall cast 3 votes, for 3 different
>    candidates.
> 2. Verification if somebody get 10 affirmative votes.
>    If a nominee receives more than 10 affirmative votes from
>    the NC he is declared elected, and all orger candidates from
>    his geographic region are eliminated. The first candidate
>    elected with 10 affirmative votes get the mandate of 3 years,
>    the second of 2 years, and the third of 1 year.

AAA: Absolutely opposed. As I ave explained three times now, we can
find ourselves with three to five candidates with fmore than 10 votes
(the number depending on whether we cast flat votes or preferential,
but the problem being the same in both cases).  The first round with
multiple votes "cannot" be used to elect anyone. But it will gealy
help to prevent wasing votes on successive rounds.

> 3. Dropped candidates and GD rule:
>    a. Candidates with zero, one or two votes are eliminated.

AAA: agreed.

>    b. The check on the GD (geographic diversity) is done. If
>       after step (a) there is no GD, i.e. less than 3 regions
>       represented, all candidates from missing regions who received
>       2 votes (or 1 vote if none with 2 votes) are added back
>       to the list of nominees.

AAA: Nope. We simple go on to elcet the first director. Then the
second. Reinstating of candidates form missing regions should only
took place, if needed, at the stage of we cannot move forward.

I would inist on one point: if only candidates form, say two regions,
have some support form the NC (ie, at lest two votes in the first
round) it means that the NC beleives that there is no gogd cnadidate
whatsoever form other regions. In that case, we elect what we can, and
we open a new electoral period, including nominations, bor the
remaining trhreee or four regions. I am sure this will not happen, but
it has to be clear that the NC is selecing the directors and therfore
has the power to refuse candidates that can not be elected only
because they are the only candidates of a given region, even if they
have zero support.

>    c. (worst scenario) If the GD of nominees cannot be
>       achieved in step (b), the first round is repeted but
>       no more than 2 times. If no succes achieved, then
>       the NC shall dissolve.

AAA: Except for ten-to ten plus one abstention, this scenario is very
unlikly, nearly impossible. Convetnion style naturally converges into
increased support tound by round, so we will be able to elect the
three reps, hopefylly. Specially because we go one by one, and without
limit of rounds (this is precisely convention style). each time we
eliminate the candidate with less support and move on.

[...]

> Second round via email.
>       Begins: Monday October 11, 21:00 CET
>       Ends:   Wednesday October 13, 18:00 CET

AAA: The first election will be the longer, as all regions and
candidates will be presnet, and we will be betting for first horses
;-), I guess that closure by Tuesday is more realistic.

My schedule: on Monday we know the result of first round with multiple
votes, and start the real election of the firts sea. If needed, we
schdule the vote to continue on Tuesday, at the usual time. and then
we aloow "24 hours" before the election of the first director and the
first vote on the second. This means that we agree to be avaialbe on
Tuesday afternoon during a certain time, in order to cast mulitple
rounds, if necessary. Be aware that form now on, wiht one region less
(and possibly lots of candidates less) things will be faster. Also the
fct that many people will be uncofrotable voting, say, a IP lawer or a
ccTLD manager or a registrar is this is the "main affiliation" of the
first director elected will make things much easier.

> Third round via email.
>       Begins: Wednesday October 13, 21:00 CET
>       Ends:   Friday, October 15, 18:00 CET

AAA: OK, and we all should be available for a telconf to clear all
possible remaing porblems.

Still I beleive that a chat mechanism, ie a mechanism that allows us
to be online, send mails to Elsiabeth that nobody else will see, and
have both public and private disucssions would be a helpfull tool.

AAA: I still would like the chance of having a telconf with the
nominees. This should be after the first round with multiple votes, so
perhaps Monday would be OK, or Tuesay, then delaying the election
slightly, moving the second elec tion to Thursday and the third to
Friday. This sounds tight, but think that for the third seat, once we
have elected two directors and therfore eliminated nominees form those
two regions, the situation would be pretty clear, a close run among a
couple at most three nominees, wiht indication of the inital relative
support thanks to the inital pollwith three votes each. But I digress.

AAA: To be honest, I cannot see why we could go further than
Friday.Specially if we limit voteing thru traditional e-mail and we
make sure that , at least three times during the week,, NC members
agree to spent one hour togetehr (in one hour we can make sure NC goes
thru several roundds, enough to elect the directors, most specially
for the second and third seat).

OK, your tunr.

Amadeu