Re: [council] Names Council Elections of ICANN Board Members - Processwith Expert Advice

Raul,

Apologies for the delay in replying - I have been away.

When a candidate is eliminated, their votes are inspected.  The
next preference on each voting paper is noted and the vote
allocated to that candidate.

So supposing I vote for you and give you my first preference, i.e.
my number 1 vote, and give my number 2 vote to candidate X.
Unfortunately (in this example) that is the only no 1 vote you get,
and you are the candidate with the lowest number of votes, and
you are eliminated.  In a simple system, my vote would then be
"lost" and wasted.  However, in STV, my voting paper is examined
and my next preference (2nd preference in this case) is noted and
my vote assigned to that candidate - in this example candidate X.
My vote is not wasted, it is passed from an eliminated candidate to
my next preferred candidate.

When someone is elected, and has more that enough votes - they
are said to have a surplus - of votes.  In a simple system these
surplus votes would be simply thrown away and the votes would be
"wasted".  In STV, the surplus is redistributed according to the
average of the next preference of all the votes cast for the
successful candidate.  Again, no votes are wasted, and the surplus
votes are used and applied to the next preference candidates.

The result is that every vote counts, and only counts once, and the
preferences of the voters are taken into account in arriving at the
final outcome.  It may be that someone who gets a higher number
of no 1 votes may be overtaken by a candidate with a slightly
smaller number of no 1 votes, because the overall preference of the
voters eventually puts the second candidate ahead.

Very sophisticated, elegant mathematically, democratic, and fair -
especially is making sure that minority voices are heard.  The
result is representative of the wishes of the whole electorate.

Dennis