Re: [council] NC teleconference announcement, September 15th 1999

Nigel Roberts wrote:

> Since Dennis's group hasn't been given the time to come up

I always liked the Birtish sense of humour, Nigel ;-))

with
> proposals, I propose the following:
>

> --------------------
> Resolved that:
>
> 1. discussion of Javier's proposal be deferred in order that
> a report may be produced within 7 days highlighting /all/ proposals
> for the election, and to include the contents of the expert advice which
> has already been sought.

Deferred. It seems to be your favorite word ;-)

Can you explain what expert advice are you talking about= What emerged
very clearly form Santiago was a genral rejection of using a) third
parties as NC chairs or facilitators and b) rejection of using a third
party to estblish or run the elections.

Could you clarify waht are you talkning about, please?

> 2. following Amadeu's comments, an election commission be immediately
> set
> up to oversee the conduct of the election, and that the Names Council
> determine its membership.

The MOST  importnt thing is that we ussie a CALL FOR NOMINATIONS. This
is perfectly independnetnt from the actual voting rules. We cannot
deprive the GA form their right to nominate and disucss candidates
form NOW (it should have been for a ong time, now, in fact). So your
subdisary motion is the most userful, IMHO.

> -------------------
> If this fails, I will propose the following plan to be subsititued
> for Javier's motion.
>

> Resolved that:
>
> 1.Any person nominated by a member of the GA and supported by at least
> nine other members of the DNSO before October 8th, 1999 will be
> considered as candidate for ICANN Board membership by the DNSO.
>
> The names of the ten nominators should appear on the ballot paper next
> the candidate's name.

???? C'ome on, Remember that the electorate is the NC. They will be
able to chaeck that without making the ballot look like the Yellow Pages.

> 2.A public comment e-mail address will be opened immediatly.
>
> All nominations a support for nominations should be sent to this
> address. Constituencies of teh DNSO may formally support the candidature
> of one or more persons.
>

> 4.The election will take place by secret ballot between october 8th and
> october 15th, 1999.

I oppose secret ballots. We are not voting for theParliament, Nigel.
We are selecting ICANN Directors.

> Each member of the Names Council will cast votes by preferential voting.
> (i.e. by ordering candidates in order of preference: (1..2..3 etc)
>
> Votes are to be sent to an email address operated by an independent
> scrutineer
> to be chosen by the Names Council.

Better tow than one... The Secretariat papears the better fit to me.
If we need someone else, I would ask Ben ;-) (or Andrew). But I still
favour open ballots.

> Votes will be published on the Names Council list bearing an identifying
> number
> only so that that while the person casting the vote may not be
> identifiable, he or she can verify that his or her vote was correctly
> recorded.
>
> 5. The count will be conducted by an independent third pary using a
> recognised method of counting preferential voting elections.
>
> 6 After the closing of the voting period, the independent Retuning
> Officer will send to the Names Council an ordered list of the Candidates
> ranked
> according to the support they receive.
>
> 7.  That the Names Council select from this ordered list the names of
> three people taking principally into account the support they received
> in the
> ballot, and additionally the requirements of the ICANN By-Laws for the
> time being in force and the need for diversity of representation.

Which ballot are you talking about? GA? You must be kidding.

Best regads,

Amadeu