Re: [council] NC teleconference announcement, September 15th 1999

Nigel Roberts wrote:

> Please add the following motion to the agenda for
> under the heading 'Board Elections' to be proposed
> by me.

Hmmm,

Dennis stated that all motions/documents/isues had to be on the list
by Monday 11. I interpreted it as Monday 13th, so I am not sure
whehter my own comnets and porposals will be on the table for
disussion or not.

In acy case I support tha idea that we accept some disicpline on this
timeing issue. On the contrary we will be running on the "Santiago
effect" all and all over again.

(YJ, we have not yet re-written your proposal about this issue. Send
me a mail with your original proposal and we will work on it).

> Kind regards
>
> The Names Council NOTES
>
> 1.       that in some jurisdictions that it is illegal
> to use citizenship as a criterion for selecting Board Members
> and other office holders (example: in the UK by virtue of
> Section 25 of the 1971 Race Relations Act).

Sure, but domestic UK laws do not apply to foreing corps based
elsewhere. Moreover, I am afraid that no matter how long I could be a
UK resident it would be difficult for me to bcome the Head of Scotland
Yard, because of the public office exception common around the world.

Bottom line: let's foucs on what serves better the interests of the
Internet and ICANN, and let's forget other legal niceties.

> The Names Council therefore RESOLVES
>
> to petition the ICANN Board and ask it to subsititute the expression
> 'residency' for 'citizenship' and 'resident' for 'citizen'
> throughout the ICANN bylaws.

I pariallly agree on this, as you know, even if I could not find the
reason you provide more spurious. But my "personal" view is that
citizenship" for ICANN Board acceptable, while I would like disucssion
it for the SO Cuncils.

Amadeu