RE: [council] Some Thoughts on the Elections Process

Joe,

We are all working hard to get a Sound Process as well as doing it in time
for LA.  We can trade speed in favour of having a Sound Process, but we
cannot trade having a Sound Process in favour of speed.

The current proposals for the actual election are ad hoc and unsound IMO.
 We need expert advice on this.  Fortunately there is time to get such
advice.

Dennis

On Monday, September 13, 1999 3:03 AM, Joe Sims
[SMTP:Joe_Sims@jonesday.com] wrote:

> ____
>
>  This message is intended for the individual or entity named above.  If
you
> are not the intended
>  recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication
> others; also please
>  notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from
> your system.  Thank you.

> ____
>
> If I may throw in two cents worth of opinion, by far  the most important
> thing the NC can do at the moment is to make sure that the DNSO, which
was
> the first SO recognized, is not the only SO not to elect its Directors in
> time for them to be seated in LA..  There are important decisions to be
> made in Los Angeles; it would be a shame if the PSO and ASO Directors
take
> their seats and have their say, but DNSO members were incapable of
getting
> their Directors elected in time to participate in those decisions.  IMHO,
> the NC should be spending 100% of its time on this subject; everything
else
> can wait until after Los Angeles.  There is enough time to do this if the
> NC puts its collective focus on this; if it does not, it will certainly
> appear to be because of a lack of will, not time.
>

>  (Embedded
>  image moved   Dennis Jennings <Dennis.Jennings@ucd.ie>
>  to file:      09/12/99 07:44 PM
>  pic23825.pcx)
>

> Extension:
>
> To:   "'Javier'" <javier@aui.es>
> cc:   "'council@dnso.org'"<council@dnso.org> (bcc: Joe Sims/JonesDay)
> Subject:  RE: [council] Some Thoughts on the Elections Process
>

> Javier,
>
> Unless we have an agreed process that is and will be seen to be fair and
> workable, we should not be driven by the deadline requested by the ICANN
> Board.  It is much more important to get this right and agreed than that
> the DNSO has three Board members in a hurry.
>
> The reputation of the Names Council is not very high (to say the least) -
> and much of this arises because of the continuing demand that we rush to
> get things done before we know what to do or how to do it.
>
> Let's have a calm discussion on the voting process - and hopefully we can
> agree on a sensible workable process (with expert advice on the voting
> issues), and proceed rapidly to implement it - hopefully in time for the
> October 15th Deadline.
>
> Dennis
>
> On Friday, September 10, 1999 8:16 PM, Javier [SMTP:javier@aui.es] wrote:
> > Dennis,
> >
> > The process that you propose sounds very good in general (see comments
> > below), but cannot be applied now, as our time constraints are clear.
If