From: Thomas Roessler [mailto:roessler@does-not-exist.org]
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 6:31 PM
To: Steve Metalitz
Cc: 'NC-WHOIS@DNSO.ORG'
Subject: Re: FW: [nc-whois] revised chapters I.C, I.D-and-E, IV

Thank you.

I have reviewed the changes you are suggesting, and suggest the
following way of adopting the underlying concerns (see the attached
Word document for details).

 - Analysis of free-form responses to q. 17.d:  Add a first sentence
   to the paragraph, "The free-form part of question 17.d asked
   those who had demanded a change in the existing bulk access
   provisions (about half of all respondents) to elaborate on the
   kind of change they desire. Across all categroies ofrespondents,
   ..."

   I have no problem with the other changes you suggest to this
   section.

 - Section E, "Issues identified." I don't think that preservation
   of public access belongs into the "privacy" bullet point.
   Instead, I've added a new bullet point: "Access: Various
   respondents stressed the need for continued public access to
   whois data, and for the enforcement of bulk access provisions."

 - Section F, "Findings and Discussion of Results."  With all due
   respect, I believe that it's sufficient to mention the result
   from the yes-no part of that question once in a short, ten-line
   summary of the results.  I've changed the text like this:

   >> Taking error margins into account, the yes-no part of this
   question leads to an undecided result or to thin majorities in
   some of the categories: Half of the respondents suggest that the
   bulk access provisions should be changed, half suggest they
   shouldn't.

   The result of the evaluation of the free-form responses which were
   given by those who do suggest a change of bulk access provisions
   look very similar to the results from question 16: Between 62% and
   82% (or a total of 75%) of these respondents call for opt-in
   policies or no access to data for resale or marketing purposes;
   additionally, some responses more generally ask for stricter
   privacy protection.  There was very little support for improving
   the present opt-out mechanisms (< 10%), and close to no support
   for a more relaxed privacy policy among those who demanded a
   change to the existing bulk access provisions. <<

   I suppose that this wording makes the numbers clear enough.

I hope you folks can agree with these changes, so we can close the
substantial part of chapter IV - of course, some numbers and charts
will still have to be added.

PS: The software I use can deal quite nicely with change tracking
la Word, and that approach makes things easier.  The problems mostly
occur with advanced formatting and OLE objects.  I'm not just
relying on a PDA this time.  ;)

Regards,
--
Thomas Roessler                        <roessler@does-not-exist.org>