Indeed as Karl points out in the forwarded comments below,
this provision that WAS in ICANN's bylaws must be immediately
restored until there has been public discussion and debate
upon the ICANN (Initial?) Interim desire for it's removal...
Jeffrey A. Williams
Spokesman INEGroup (Over 95k members strong!)
CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.
Information Network Eng. Group. INEG. INC.
Contact Number: 972-447-1894
Address: 5 East Kirkwood Blvd. Grapevine Texas 75208
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Subject: [IDNO-DISCUSS] ICANN used to require individual participation but it has beenremoved
- From: Karl Auerbach <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 12:44:33 -0700 (PDT)
- Sender: email@example.comOn November 6, 1998, ICANN's by-laws contained the following, a clear requirement for the ability of individuals to participate fully in Supporting Organizations and to participate with partity with organizations. That language is no longer part of ICANN's bylaws. In other words, ICANN has removed a very important committment it made regarding participation by individuals. This change was made, I believe during or shortly after the SO creation rodeo held in Singapore. It was a change made without any significant public discussion of this issue. It is important that ICANN restore this requirement for individual pariticipation in *ALL* Supporting Orgnizations, not merely the DNSO. It is important for ICANN to immediately recognize the Individual Domain Name Owners constituency in the DNSO. --karl-- On Nov 6, 1998 ICANN's by-laws said: ARTICLE VI: SUPPORTING ORGANIZATIONS Section 2. QUALIFICATION FOR MEMBERSHIP IN A SUPPORTING ORGANIZATION The Board shall review and, if consistent with the purposes of the Corporation and its Articles and Bylaws and the purposes of the Supporting Organization, ratify any qualifications for membership adopted by each of the Supporting Organizations. Participation in a Supporting ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Organization shall be open to any individual or organization that meets ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ the minimum qualifications adopted by the Supporting Organization and ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ratified by the Board. Each Supporting Organization may adopt membership ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ structures, including open or multiple classes or categories of members, that it deems appropriate for its effective functioning, consistent with the foregoing. - This message was sent via the IDNO-DISCUSS mailing list. To unsubscribe, send a message containing the line "unsubscribe idno-discuss" to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, see http://www.idno.org/