[council] Proposed NC resolution on reform - 1
Proposed NC resolution (1)
1. Whereas the ICANN Evolution and Reform Committee (ERC) has published its second implementation report http://www.icann.org/committees/evol-reform/second-implementation-report-02sep02.htm
2. Whereas the NC has previously commented on the need to make geographic diversity a reality within the proposed Generic Names Supporting Organisation (GNSO) Council.
3. Whereas the NC has previously commented on the need for constituencies to have sufficient council members to share workload and allow for substitution where required.
4. Whereas the ERC's supposition that a 21 member council is too big to be efficient is unproven and does not accord with the experience of the Names Council.
5. Whereas the ERC has acknowledged the above in its proposal to allow three representatives per constituency on the proposed GNSO council for the first year only
The Names Council resolves that:
The proposed GNSO council should have three representatives per constituency in perpetuity but that this situation be reviewed 12 months after the formation of the council, so that an intelligent judgement may then be made based on the merits of the competing arguments and 12 months experience.