[wg-e] WG-E Part 4 draft report

WG-E members,

here is the Part 4 draft report for your reference to compare with the
harmonized  document by chuck.

chon

                                                              2000.5.22
1. Title

   ICANN DNSO WG-E Global Outreach and Awareness
   Part 4: Awareness

2. Objective

ICANN members need to be informed on current development at ICANN
through meetings and written materials.  There are two classes of
ICANN members; 1000 ICANN meeting participants and the rest who do
not participate ICANN meeting, typically due to financial reasons.
Both classes of the members must be considered.

3. Case Studies

There are two kinds of workshops and seminars; one held during ICANN
Meeting, and the other held outside of ICANN Meeting.  Some of the
examples are

(1) Berkman Center of Harvard on ICANN Workshop

Berkman Center held several workshops on ICANN in 1998 and 1999.  They
were sponsored by ICANN.  We expect Berkman Center to hold one workshop
per year.  We need to consider similar effort by other organizations
when ICANN meeting is held outside of North America.

Berkman Center also webcast all ICANN meetings in the past.  It is well
established by now with audio and text.

(2) ccTLD Joint Workshop

ccTLD constituency holds Joint TLD Workshop starting from June 1999.
The workshop was self-supported with volunteer effort.  We may consider
to enhance the workshop with better funding and staffing.

(3) Regional ccTLD Workshop

APTLD in Asia-Pacific and CENTR in Europe hold workshops several times a
year.  They cover various topics.  Other regions such as Latin America
and Africa also hold workshops, but less often.  We may consider cross
fertilization among these workshop activities.

(4) Harvard Internet Infrastructure Program

Harvard Internet Infrastructure Program(HIIP) holds workshop once a year
or twice on Internet and Society, and other topics.

4. Recommendation

(1) We need to have good educational program at every ICANN meeting in its
    early stage.  Berkman Center's workshop and Joint ccTLD Workshop are
    some of the notable examples.  ICANN, together with its organizations
    may set up a committee to coordinate such effort.

(2) Regional workshops, both regional and language-based, should be
    encouraged.  Cross fertilization including knowhow and technology transfer
    should be encouraged.  Personel exchange is one of the most effective
    schemes on this matter.

(3) ICANN Meetings and workshops may be webcasted with more enhanced way
    for those who could not participate, i.e., all but 1000 members who
    could participate.

(4) ICANN may consider to collaborate with some publishing houses to
    publish many of its activities.  Many activities need good documentation
    including good summary and introduction for good awareness program
    at the initial phase of ICANN activities.