[wg-e] Outreach Materials, etc.

Hello All,

Following Tarek's letter (which is a great draft with which to begin outreach
brochure discussions) I have a few general thoughts/questions. As I mentioned
in Santiago, I'm volunteering to work on western language brochure production
(print preparation), IF that is agreeable to the Group. Unfortunately, I'm
not able to work on any version in Korean, Japanese, Russian, Greek, Arabic,
or the Chinese dialects, but I'll cooperate with those efforts in any way
possible.

Forgive me if I have misinterpreted Mr. Chon's 9/11 email. Are we thinking of
producing two brochures? One for elections and fund raising, and one for
global outreach and raised awareness? How would a fund raising brochure be
produced if we haven't gathered funds yet? Again, maybe I've misunderstood.

On Fund Raising:

I've prepared a short list of development banks and philanthropic
organizations in the Caribbean and the Southeastern US which I plan to write
and then call. I hesitate, however, because I would be contacting these
organizations on my company letterhead, and that might be confusing or
misleading. It seems more appropriate to send out material on ICANN
stationery. Will corporate ICANN give us the latitude to use their letterhead
in this way? Is there a better method? Other materials I'd like to include in
an initial mailing to fund raising prospects:
• Print-outs of selected newspaper/magazine articles on ICANN (friendly ones)
• List of businesses and governments participating in ICANN thus far
• Comprehensive listing of ICANN-related web sites

On the main ICANN outreach brochure:

A *self-mailer* - a piece which needs no envelope - might be a logical and
cost-efficient design format. Also, it makes sense that the piece should be
able to contain a separate letter on ICANN letterhead. We would need
camera-ready or digital logo art from ICANN.

Perhaps it also makes sense to design brochures which have at least three
languages printed simultaneously. For example, Latin American and Caribbean
versions should have Spanish, Portugese, and English text, all equal in
prominence.
I would think we could develop a system which would accomodate the 15 - 21
most appropriate languages - at least to begin. Suggestions are welcome.

Perhaps the old adage "less is more" might work when considering content on
the brochure. I think we can assume that our target list will be quite
varied, in terms of familiarity with the internet and internet terminology.
ICANN is already quite complicated. Since we are really trying to raise
awareness and *brand identity* at this point, it seems that this brochure
should explain the basic philosophies of ICANN -  why it was established and
what it is designed to achieve - but let the website handle the details of
internal structure, MoA, White Papers, DNSO, etc. for now. Let's get people
familiar with the logo, the name, and what ICANN represents to the future of
the Internet. If we print in three languages per version, we won't have much
room to do anything else anyway.

I'm trying to formulate a target list by category. Please help me make this
list more complete. Awareness brochure will eventually go to: selected
government officials, ISP owners or officers, news bureaus, university
department heads (science, business,and communication), telecommunication
managers and...?

Sorry for the long-winded email. I look forward to corrections, feedback -
anything to get things going.

Thanks,
Jay Parker
West Indies Communications Group