Re: [wg-d] "Interim Measures"

Jonathan Weinberg wrote:
>I understood Bret's message yesterday, though, to suggest the WG-C members
>might be preparing position statements more as an intermediate step, to
>focus the group's thinking, and to lay the groundwork for more
>sophisticated discussion and possible revision and compromise.

Both you and Javier make good points.

I understood David's comments, and my attempt to distill and incorporate
them, as listing items that should be in any final report of a WG. You're
correct that what we're discussing are the intermediate steps on the road
to a final report. Javier correctly reminds us that many of impact and
support issues might come from the public, or the constituencies, during
the public comment period; presumably, those comments will be studied by
the WG and included in the WG's final work product.

With that process in mind and knowing that this WG might require any WG
to include the kinds of "impact analysis" items listed in David's
advised to consider those issues as they prepare their drafts and seek to
court public opinion.

Assume the question is "how many, how fast?" A report that stakes a
position and then addresses how registries will be established, what the
approval process will be, what the business model will be, how registrars
will interface with the new registries, how the demand for new names will
be handled (e.g., how the first new gTLD will handle the hundreds of
thousands of new registrations it will receive in the first hour it
opens), what the impact will be on users, trademark owners, registrars,
etc. will certainly make a better impression in the general assembly than
one that simply says "5 per month for the next 12 months" without any
detail.

But I like the idea of letting the market forces work. Addressing impact
issues can be recommended, but not required (for interim position
statements).

      -- Bret