Re: [wg-d] NC Elections. Was: ga] DNSO General Assembly - Revised Agenda

On 12 August 1999, Karl Auerbach <karl@CaveBear.com> wrote:

>> I think that either one is fine. Asking for the support of 5 people could
>> be an interesting minimal psycological barrier to people unknown to the GA
>> who want to nominate themselves and don't know anybody else.
>
>Since the GA is going to have an election on the candidates in order to
>create the panel of nominees that it sends to the GA, it is useful, that
>candidates generate some minimal support.
>
>Sure we can allow everybody to be on the ballot, but it subjects us to the
>risk of that bugabear of some: candidates who are mere electronic
>fictions.
>
>Getting a minimal degree of support is a small, but useful speedbump
>against those kinds of problems.

It also serves another very useful purpose:  If we allow everyone to be
a candidate, it's equivalent to asking the NC to choose whoever they think
would be good reps.  I don't like that one bit, as it removes what little
power the GA has.

--
Mark C. Langston	     			Let your voice be heard:
mark@bitshift.org				     http://www.idno.org