Re: [wg-d] Robert's Rules

Karl,

I share your concern for fairness, but Robert's Rules seem a little too
heavy for WGs. Let me explain.

Working Groups are, more than anything else, drafting committees for
specific issues. Now at the beginning they are highly political, but they
will not be at the end. If we use procedures that are too heavy, we run the
risk of making them useless.

Making anybody who wants to join a WG learn Robert's Rules might be a
little bit too much to ask from them.

Also, Robert's Rules can be used to slow down a process when somebody does
not want anything to happen. Anybody can just ammend aproposal (only needs
somebody to second) and ask for a vote. This can go on forever.

I think that we need to operate on a much simpler scheme. With simple rules.

Until we decide if WGs are open to anybody or they have a balanced
membership from the constituencies and the General Assembly, it might be
too early to decide how they will vote.

We could leave this discussion for a little later, after we discuss if WGs
are open to anybody or do they have a balanced membership?

My opinion on this one is that there should be a balaced membership,
composed of:

- Members of all constituencies who wish to participate in the WG.
- Members of the General Assembly who wish to participate.
- Experts invited by the Chair(s), assuring that all major points of view
are represented in the WG.

The product of WGs is sent to the Names Council, who recommends policy to
the Board. If the constituencies do not agree with the result, then the
policy will be either not sent or modified. It is much better that the WGs
produce policy that is acceptable to the constituencies, otherwise their
work will be wasted. That is why I think that it is useles to have WGs in
which the constituencies do not have an specific weight.

Javier