RE: [wg-d] Freezing WG Membership

Chris, I doubt that I disagree with your point. It seems correct.

I think many of the WG-C members are disappointed in the NC's actions. I
know I am. The NC should not have ignored the work of the WG-C or concluded
that it, the NC, represented a consensus of the Internet Community rather
than the WG-C, which at least debated the gTLD issue for nearly a year AND
maintained an open membership.  Of course, one could challenge whether the
WG-C really represented the Internet Community, but the irony of having that
challenge raised by the Names Council should not go unnoticed. While the NC
need not rubber stamp the work of its WGs, it ought to have very good
reasons for ignoring consensus recommendations, and those reasons should be
formally published on the DNSO website and transmitted along with the NC's
recommendations to the ICANN Board. As it stands, the NC has harmed the
integrity of the DNSO decision-making process. I doubt that this is a
maneuver that the ICANN BOARD should feel comfortable about building upon in
July. Certainly, there are enough allegations that ICANN operates against
consensus, rather in response to it.

At the very least, the NC should adopt a policy that it will NOT depart from
consensus positions developed in open-membership WGs, unless a written
statement substantially justifying that determination is posted on the DNSO
website.

Rod Dixon