Re: [wg-d] Overview

	I think -- of Bret's two choices -- (1) is the better answer.  Let me use
WG-C as an example:  We've been working for a few months now, and have
reached rough consensus on a couple of issues, including (1) that there
should be new gTLDs, and (2) the outline of an initial rollout.  We have
not (yet), though, reached consensus on a variety of other issues that must
be decided before the deployment of new gTLDs.  Let's assume, for purposes
of this discussion, that we continue not to be able to reach consensus on
these issues.  Option (2) would mean (since the WG would return no usable
report) that there could be no new gTLDs.  That would be an odd result,
though, since the desirablity of new gTLDs is one of the few issues on
which there *is* consensus.  I think it would be better (albeit
undesirable) for us to report to the NC the points on which we have reached
consensus, and the opposing arguments where we have not.  While option (2),
as Bret notes, would make some of us even more eager to reach agreement, it
would strengthen the hand of those who support the status quo, since
blocking consensus would mean blocking even the possibility of any action.

	I confess, though, that I'm a little confused about how this discussion
fits into Bret's (extremely well done) report draft.  I wasn't a member of
this WG when it did most of its work.  Reading Bret's report without
preconceptions, it seems to set up a model of a WG that does *not* take
consensus as its touchstone.  Rather, under sections 4.1-4.5, all disputed
substantive issues within a WG seem to be decided by simple majority vote.
To the extent that 4.7 contemplates that the WG can't issue a report
without consensus , I'm not sure what the relationship is between that
section and 4.1-4.5.  Am I missing something?

Jon

Jon Weinberg
weinberg@msen.com