Re: [wg-d] Interim measures: second thoughts

David Schutt wrote:

> If consensus is what's required to move a proposal out of a working group,
> then yes, any significant group can torpedo the process.

This is true, but not necessarily a *bad* thing.  We must remember
that there has been considerable discussion on these same substantive
issues over the years. It's nice to hope for a miracle but
unreasonable to expect one.

> One solution might be to disband the working group, and reconstitute it with
> a simpler set of goals. The original stated goals of the group may have been
> overly ambitious.

Im not sure this idea will get us very far.  What simpler set of goals
would you propose that would be:
a) at least theoretically achievable
b) useful

> Another approach may be to encourage the reports mentioned in previous
> posts, but rather than being the output of the working group, they should be
> the *input* to the working group, very roughly analogous to the Internet
> Draft document. A comparison of reasoned proposals might be revealing, and
> could provide the basis for further work.

What criteria would be used for such a comparion and who might be
charged with coming up with 'em?

> If the working group is to be disbanded and not reconstituted, I'm not sure
> of the utility of position reports. The email archives would stand as a
> record of the groups discussion and members positions.

This is probably quite true.

--
Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology