RE: [wg-d] What our product should resemble

This is one of those situations where you trade one potential abuse for
another. What you describe is the ability of some to effectively exclude
voices from the group (toss them out), and I for one can't think of any way
to prevent abuse of this power, especially when you're doing 'soft' work
such as politics or social policy or choosing ice cream.

If you're going to do something like this, it is then best to measure and
record the sense of the group through on the record voting. This way, those
who make the decision to override the minority can be identified and held
accountable for what they do.

Notice that we are back to majority (or supermajority) rule. The difference
is that what constitutes a minority is defined before a controversy erupts,
and to override the minority the majority must *all* go on the record as
supportive of the override.

Some of the power of a true consensus is regained when one can say "thus and
such a percentage of the interested parties agreed that it was important
enough to implement a decision that we stop debate and move on". True
consensus is almost unassailable, *if* the group contains all of the
interested parties.

Rough consensus, absent formal definition, is a very shaky platform on which
to stand. Someone trying to judge the quality of the decision making will
realize that the outcome *could* have come about simply because a few
participants had the audacity to drive dissenters away or otherwise shut
them out. No way to tell, and thus no way to judge the quality of the
process.

That leaves every decision vulnerable to constant challenge. Not a good
position to be in.

D Schutt