Re: [wg-d] NC Elections. Was: ga] DNSO General Assembly - Revised Agenda

On 12 August 1999, Elisabeth PORTENEUVE <Elisabeth.PORTENEUVE@cetp.ipsl.fr> wrote:

>> >Read the bylaws. The NC is a decision making entity, it can send to the
>> >Board whatever proposal is feels like. It can alter anything its wants, it
>> >can tell a WG that its results are of no interest whatsoever. The NC
>> >represents the Internet Community proportionally, the GA doesn't, that is
>> >why the GA does not vote.
>>
>> I think you may have misspoke. The NC is not proportional representation.
>> At present, it gives six commercial constituencies *equal* representation
>> on the NC. Certainly, of the recognized groups, the number of potential
>> members of the Business and Commercial constituency far outnumber the
>> ccTLD registries, for example, yet they get equal votes in the NC.
>>
>>      -- Bret
>>
>==> You are both right, just wording differs.
>    The slicing into constituency was needed to preserve
>    a say for every important (impacted by domain names) group.
>    Each group got a slice of 1/7.
>    This weighting gives a say to ccTLD registries (a group of 239,
>    a very complicated structure by the way), which could be
>    outnumbered otherwise.
>
>    In fact, I am learning more and more, that the creation
>    of global space with erased borders (may look very enticing)
>    has many side effects, including a strong domination
>    of relatively small group.

I'll once again politely point out that Javier stated, "the NC represents
the Internet Community proportionally".  I do not take issue with the
particular wording of this statement, but the entire statement.  The
NC does not represent the individual stakeholder, or the individual user.
The NC cannot, until a more balanced representation is in place.  Until
such time, making blanket statements like the above, claiming the NC
even approaches being representative of the Internet Community, is
offensive, and I refuse to let statements like that stand.

--
Mark C. Langston	     			Let your voice be heard:
mark@bitshift.org				     http://www.idno.org