Re: [wg-d] Re: [ga] DNSO General Assembly - Revised Agenda

> I learned that we need to have legal-legal-legal explanations
> to "nomination by GA".

I don't understand what you mean by this.  Who is saying that we need some
deep, arcane, esoteric, incomprehensible legalities?  (I suspect, however,
that we do have some legal expertise on this list, my presence
notwithstanding.)

> My non-lawyer reading is: anybody from GA can nominate anybody,
> and no supporters needed. I may not like it, but the text is here.

The words "nominated by the GA" say to me that the nomination comes from
the GA itself, not the GA as a conduit.  In other words, the GA needs to
have a process so that it can, itself, do the nominating.

Brets suggestion seems a good one to me that the GA have its own
procedures to select the nominees.

I suggest that we get very precise about our terminology.

There are "the names being forwarded to the NC as the nominations of the
GA".  I suggest we call these the "Panel of Nominees".  (A better name
would be welcome.)

Then there are the names which are submitted to the GA from the members of
the GA, lets call those "Candidates".

Then let's call the process by which a Candidate may become one of the
Panel of Nominees "the Nomination Procedure".

Now we can talk about "the Nomination Procedure".

I suggest that it be structured something along the following lines:

 - Candidates step forward.

 - Any candidate unable to produce a statement demonstrating support from
   at least some minimal number (5. 10, 15...?) GA members would be
   disqualified.

 - An election is held to select the top N Candidates.  Those form the
   Panel of Nominees

I strongly advise that the number N be three.

		--karl--