Re: [wg-d] Robert's Rules

> >Making anybody who wants to join a WG learn Robert's Rules might be a
> >little bit too much to ask from them.
>
> A possible solution might be to appoint someone, other than the Chair, as
> the parliamentarian. This would place the burden of becoming familiar
> with Roberts' Rules on only one person and could provide the added
> benefit of an additional check against a runaway Chair.
>
>       -- Bret

I have seen this solution work in some instances (usually a contentious group
that has to get work done fast and dissolve).  From my experience it does work,
but the downside is someone essentially loses their voice to become
parliamentarian. I found that aspect frustrating. And the alternative
(rotating parliamentarian) really gets us back to the situation of many people
having to learn Robert's Rules.

As usual, there are no easy answers. In the end we are dependent on trust.

Dan Steinberg
Synthesis: Law &
Technology

This message was sent using Travel-Net Web Mail.
http://www.travel-net.com/