Re: [wg-d] determining the make up of working group D

On Thu, Aug 05, 1999 at 08:46:28AM -0700, Randy Bush wrote:
> i really like to have folk's [conflicts of] interests on the table.  so i
> thought i would set an example.
>
> randy

This raises an interesting question.  Let's suppose I produce the
following:

  I'm Kent Crispin, CTO of the INEG Group, Inc.  I was a fighter
  pilot in both world wars; in 'Nam I flew Apache helicopters.  I
  have worked with the CIA and NSA; I'm an expert in crypto and
  information warfare, with DOD "Top-Secret" and DOE "Q" clearances.
  My company has released "bind-plus", a competitor to "bind"; I of
  course was in charge of the project.  INEG Group is a 2 billion
  dollar company, and has registered half a million domains.  Though
  my age is quite advanced, I still run the Boston Marathon every
  year, and in '56 and '57 I was first and second place,
  respectively.

Karl and Mark think all decisions should be made through a formal
vote.  Given the above bio, should I be allowed to vote? If not, what
procedures would WGs have to disallow such votes?

How about:

  my name is kent crispin.  i sit here like a toadstool, discarding
  every message, except the ones that say "ballot" at the top.  I'm
  only here because my beer buddy mark sent me email saying i should
  vote on these things, so when i get those "ballot" things i fill
  them out like he says, and send them back.

Or:

  My name is Kent Crispin.  I'm an INTA lawyer.  INTA sent urgent
  email to every one of its 3000 members saying that we should join
  this mailing list, and, after joining it, I can see why.
  Unfortunately, there are only 400 of us here, but we will be
  working to get more IP representation -- I think we should get at
  least another 500 members participating by next week.

Or:

  I would really rather not supply any information, because it
  violates my privacy rights.

Here's some real information about me:

  My name is Kent Crispin.  I work for one of the US nuclear weapons
  labs, with the job title "computer scientist".  Lately my time has
  been occupied with re-engineering the Labs' information security
  architecture in response to the congressional scrutiny arising from
  the Cox report.  In my spare time I run a tiny business named
  "Songbird".  "Songbird" is a registered service mark.  I have
  several domains; I am not a member of any constituency, though I am
  on a couple of the constituency mailing lists.  I have been heavily
  involved in DNS matters for three some years.  I was chair of the
  gTLD-MoU Policy Advisory Board, and have been an observer on the
  Policy Oversight Committee.