[wg-d] whois: dpf

Well to introduce myself to my fellow wg-d participants I'm DPF or
David Farrar.

In terms of Internet politics I am on the Council and the Policy
Committee of the Internet Society of New Zealand (near Australia but
not Australia) who are the ccTLD registry for .nz.  The actual
registry is run by a company DOMAINZ which we own.

I am also a founding (by one day) member of the IDNO whose democratic
setup I have enjoyed.

In my employment role I am employed in the personal office of the
Prime Minister as an executive assistant to her.  I am effectively a
political appointee, not a civil servant, and my job is for only so
long as the current PM is PM (elections in November!!).

Within the office one of my (far too many) tasks is looking after
Internet things on behalf of the Ministerial side of Government.  My
role is more making things happen, not policy development, and I am
always speaking on my behalf only, not the NZ Government (which the
Ministry of Commerce does at the GAC).

I personally own a couple of domains for my use, one for a lobby group
I was involved in,  am the admin contact several work related ones and
also have ended up registering and looking after a dozen or so for
various MPs and Candidates.

One of my abiding passions is keeping Governments as far away from the
Internet as possible :-) Well in terms of them trying to regulate it
or ban things anyway.

 Great fan of them using it and I've dragged a large portion of the NZ
political establishment onto it, but don't want them trying to run the
bloody thing for if anything could stuff up the Internet a collection
of Governments could!

This is why I am supportive of the general direction of the US
Government (thanks for the NSI monopoly guys!) in handing things over
to ICANN, even though of course I have some concerns about the way
certain things have been implemented.

Well that's me.  I look forward to working with fellow netizens here
on the important tasks ahead of us.

Regards

DPF
Councillor, Internet Society of NZ - www.isocnz.org.nz
Member, Int Domain Name Holders Assn - www.idno.org
Executive Assistant to the Prime Minister of NZ
But my opinions are mine only.