[wg-d] WG Principles

One of the mandates of this Working Group is to "Prepare Working Group
and Public Consultation Procedures."  To that end and to get the
conversation started, I thought I would circulate the following list of
principles that I believe the DNSO's internal operating procedures on
Working Groups should follow.

I'm sure this is not complete, but I thought if we could agree on some
fundamental principles, then drafting proposed rules would be much
easier.

        -- Bret

                           D R A F T

The DNSO's Working Group process should...

Organization

o  	Provide for the ability of the Names Council to propose
   	a Working Group and fill that Working Group with persons
   	interested in and capable of accomplishing the proposed work;

o  	Provide for the ability of the General Assembly to self-
   	organize a Working Group and follow the same procedures and
   	achieve the same results as Names Council organized groups;

Statement of the Work to be Done

o  	Provide for the ability of the entity creating the Working
   	Group to define the work to be done; BUT ALSO,

o  	Provide the Working Group with the flexibility to re-define or
   	modify the work assignment as it meets and receives input from
   	the community;

o	  Provide a place and time for the Working Group's mandate
	   to be publicly posted and commented upon;

The Work

o   Provide appropriate fora for discussion and debate;

o   Provide leadership to moderate and steer the debate;

o	  Provide a mechanism to draft any recommendations or reports;

o  	Provide a mechanism for publishing and publicizing the work,
	   including interim work, of the Working Group and seeking
	   additional input;

o	  Provide appropriate amounts of time for input and comment;

o	  Provide a mechanism for public comment, and if necessary or
	   advisable, open real-time hearings on the issues under
	   discussion;

o 	 Provide a mechanism for reviewing public comments and
	   revising draft reports;

o	  Ensure that all notices, drafts, comments and other documents
	   generated by the Working Group are maintained, archived, and
	   publicly available;

Reports

o	  Provide a mechanism for determining whether "consensus" exists
    on a proposed report, and if not, ensuring that all serious
    points of view are included in the final report;

o	  Provide a standard format for proposed reports that includes a
	   statement of the issue, an objective analysis of the problem
	   posed for the working group and the competing considerations,
	   a detailed statement of why the Working Group has arrived at
	   the submitted conclusion, and an overview of the comments received.

Transmittal

o 	 Provide a mechanism for forwarding completed reports to the
	   Names Council;

o	  Provide a way for the Names Council to ask additional questions
	   of the Working Group and for the Working Group to respond.