Re: [wg-c] nsi proposes to create new gTLds

This is just a shot in the dark, but if the point is to create some
competition, why don't we have competitive proposals to compete with
NSI, rather than just have NSI run the registry that is supposed to
compete with NSI?   And why should NSI choose the strings for the new
registries that compete with .com, .net and .org?

And, why does NSI get a say on this at all?  Doesn't NSI have a conflict
of interest or something?

  Jamie

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Rick H Wesson wrote:

> NSI is proposing that they help create a registry in
> europe, the are proposing .shop as an open gTLD and a .bank
> as a closed gTLD.
>
> The propose to house .shop in euroope and use everything NSI registrar has
> already developed including RRP protocols, procedures, and agreeemnts.
>
> they want to jump-start everything and want hel[p "move from abstract
> principals" in to a real solution.
>
> they want to discuss implementation consepts with the NC... Ken S has
> looked at it but has no comment. philip hasn't seen it in writing but is
> very interested in it.
>
> the document will be made a public document and is supposed to be
> redistributed so ask for it!
>
> -rick

James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
P.O. Box 19367        | http://www.cptech.org
Washington, DC 20036  | love@cptech.org
Voice 202/387-8030    | Fax 202/234-5176