Re: [wg-c] Pre-sold TLDs

At 10:41 AM 4/18/00 -0400, John Charles Broomfield wrote:

>William Walsh wrote:
> > On 18-Apr-2000 Kent Crispin wrote:
> > > I submit that this is an infinitely better result than bankrupting IODs
> > > investors in a bunch of problematic lawsuits.
> >
> > While I agree with the above statement, the rest of your email presumes a
> > shared registry model for all new registries, and that is not what we have
> > agreed on here in this workgroup.
>
>I take it you mean the generic TLDs (I *can* see limited/chartered/restricted/
>whatever-you-call-them TLDs being run by a single registrar-registry system,
>but -as I keep saying- it's a completely different set of issues).
>We haven't agreed on the contrary either (that generic TLDs could be run in
>another fashion). I am sure we would NOT receive consensus on the principle
>that generic TLDs could be run by a single entity registry-registrar. We've
>had that model, and we've seen how it didn't work (NSI holding on to
>com/net/org), and we've fought very hard to oblige it to open up. gTLDs run
>in that way are just not going to happen IMHO. The dreaded expression of
>"lock-in" rears its head way to high to allow that.
>
>Your statement that we have not yet agreed on all new [generic] registries
>being run on a shared registry model is only half correct. What we haven't
>yet agreed on is how they are to be run (which is why there is such lack of
>progress). Personally I feel that one of the major blocking points up to now
>*had* always been IOD asserting exclusive ownership over ".web". It seems that
>things are now changing, and we *may* have a way forward.

Let me run an old idea by you. Limit this (or not) to William's non-shared
limited/chartered/restricted TLDs. Two/three year window of
registrar/registry combined operations from each new TLD registry. After
which the registry opens up to all registrars. This should allow the
registry to cover their start-up costs, and give the IP community one
organization to deal with TM issues. After the window is over, all
registrars have access, and the same rules apply as to .COM. This provides
equality to NSI's prior situation in the two/three year ramp-up stage, and
provides a stable economic base to mount new TLD registry operations.

Remember, stability is one of the key factors.