RE: [wg-c] Pre-sold TLDs

There is a pent-up demand for domains in the new TLD's.
I don't think there is an argument about that.
There is no way you can "outlaw" this demand.
I do not see any problem with registrars building queues
of names that their customers would like to register
as soon as they are able to.  A round-robbin scheme
on day one of a new TLD will ensure fairness.
On the days before day-one of the release of a new tld
you will have registrars "pre-registering" names,
even if it is just one name.

There is no way to stop it, that I can see.
A registrar's "pre-registration" queue may
only be one name in length.
Is ICANN to outlaw registrar business models?

That said, I do not support registrars "pre-registering" names for a fee
because there is no guarentee that the person "pre-registering" the
name will actually get (register) the name.  Registrants should only
be charged if the registrar actually registeres the name at the registry.

Regards
Paul Stahura