Re: [wg-c] TUCOWS.com Comments on IPC Sunrise Proposal

> Bravo! Mr. Rader.

Thank you. We feel very strongly that this proposal and any other
extra-legal TM privilege be discarded so that ICANN can continue as a body
of charged with the the technical management of the Internet's domain name
system, the allocation of IP address space, the assignment of protocol
parameters, and the management of the root server system. Creating "bottom
up consensus based policy" is not the same thing as creating benefit for
the few, at the expense of the many.

> Would you please post to the list, the text of John Berryhill's commentary.

The full text can be found at:

http://www.dnso.org/wgroups/wg-b/Archives/msg00795.html

Relevant bits...

"...Point (1) - The Proposals Have No Basis In Technology Or Law..."

"...Point (2) - Artificial Constriction of the Name Space by the IPC is
Hurting Small Business..."

"Conclusion...the mechanisms for restricting registrations according to
various pre-emptive systems are flawed technically as they do not accord
with RFC1591, and they are flawed legally as they do not accord with the
remedial character of Law as we in the West have come to know it over a
learning curve of hundreds of years.  The IPC does not have the technical
background to run the Internet, and WG-B does not have the legal
sophistication to re-write basic trademark law.  This is not how to run a
computer network."

Thanks,

-RWR

Ross Wm. Rader                     http://www.domaindirect.com
Director, Assigned Names Division       http://www.opensrs.org
TUCOWS.com Inc.                     http://www.domainwatch.com
ross@tucows.com                    http://www.domainsurfer.com
t. (416) 531-2697 x 335                      f. (416) 531-5584
----------------"Because-People-Need-Names"-------------------