Re: [wg-c] Pre-sold TLDs

And with this proposal you just move the problem one rung down. How do you
stop someone from creating a list that will bombard the webpages or email
addresses of registrars and selling "preregistrations" in that list?
It might work as far as the "feel good" factor is concerned, but as far as
effectiveness, it is zilch.
Imagine you stopped all registrations right NOW for ".com", scrubbed the
database clean, and announced that ".com" will start from 0 on May 1st at
00:00 hours. The scripts that people use TODAY to try and fight for those
domains that become available on a quasi-daily basis would be used
ad-infinitum with everyone fighting like crazy for a couple of thousand (or
more) domain names. Each person would be machine-gunning their requests at
as many per minute/second as their personal bandwidth allows, repeating
until they got confirmation one way or another. If all requests coming
BEFORE the "going-live" date go to the bit-bucket, you can count that from
about 30 minutes BEFORE that date until who knows when afterwards, the
system processing for each registrar would be effectively DOWN. Look at what
happened to that new registrar that gives free domains for an hour each
month when he went live. Bombarded into oblivion. How would you avoid that?
This is a possible (personally I think quite likely, but in any case it is
NOT farfetched) scenario.
As I said (and as POC came to the conclusion a few years back), you can't
STOP this behaviour, nor curtail it significantly. In fact, if you DO
legislate it, you'll only be hurting those that DO comply, and giving an
advantage to those that work around it (in a fashion similar to the way
given above).
You can stop certain people from creating or maintaining queues, but you
can't stop EVERYONE from generating any which way they want a queue and
writing a program to feed that queue through any (or indeed ALL) registrar.
See the problem?

Yours, John.