TLD Charters (was Re: [wg-c] S/K principles)

At 08:41 AM 4/10/00 -0700, Kent Crispin wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 05:13:22PM +0200, Philip Sheppard wrote:
> > Charter and open
> > This is not a black and white choice. Even dot com has some defining
> > characteristics.
>
>Actually, it is much closer to black and white than you imply.
>"Charter" in context usually means "*enforced* criteria for restriction
>of registrations to particular registrants."

A charter defines the purpose and scope of the TLD. The charter is the
document that defines how it is delegated (shared/exclusive), who it is
delegated to (registry/registrars), and any specific information regarding
the purpose and use of a TLD. *ALL* TLDs should have a charter. The
following is from my submission to both the Postel draft and IAHC proceedings:

http://www.iahc.org/contrib/draft-iahc-higgs-tld-cat-03.txt

    3.3. TLD Charters

       Each new TLD must be created with an identifiable purpose. A
       written charter will identify and explain the function and
       purpose of each TLD.

       In the case of the Specialized and Corporate TLD classes
       (described below), the corporation or organization acting as
       the registry will be responsible for creating the TLD's charter.
       This will be part of the TLD application process. Guidelines
       for charter creation will be made publically available by IANA.

       The following items must be identified in the charter:

       3.2.1  Registration procedure, documenting all steps

       3.2.2  Service guarantees required in the operation of that TLD

       3.2.3  Error resolution policy (including any refund policy)

       3.2.4  Dispute policy (including any refund policy)

       3.2.5  Procedure for dealing with domain name and trademark
              conflicts.

    3.4. Registry's Failure To Enforce Charter

       In processing registrations, each registry must observe the
       procedures laid out in the charter for each TLD. Should a
       delegated registry be unable or unwilling to enforce a TLD
       charter, then at the IDNB's discretion, the authority to accept
       or process registrations for that TLD would be removed, and the
       TLD would be assigned to another registry.