Re: [wg-c] Pre-sold TLDs

This is my chance to chime in with an old idea of mine from the first days of
WG-C. Almost no one liked it, and, as Esther Dyson said about ICANN's bylaws, if
no one likes them, they must be a good compromise...

The goal of my idea was to promote Internet unity and reduce pressures for
alternate roots, by adding popular new gTLDs while ensuring that alternate root
registrants who thought they were paying to get into the real Internet are not
penalized or antagonized.

The gist of it was that all of IOD's .web registrants should be grandfathered in
to the new .web, no matter who runs the registry (i favored a non-profit model).
The same would be true of any other non-IANA TLD, including Adam Todd's, Paul
Garrin's, etc.. The offer to IOD was a favorable opportunity to become an ICANN
registrar for all gTLDs, with a few months of time granted to operate as the
exclusive registrar for .web. And the same would go for the others.

Read all about it at http://www.flywheel.com/ircw/wgc1plan.html

Chris Ambler and Kent Crispin both despised this idea, so it must be great. My
thinking is exactly counter to thrust of this thread. I expect this effort is a
waste of time, as it was before.

Also, I think it's correct to say that CORE has taken no registrations, since
the ill-fated plans for the round robin never took place. So would be no CORE
registrants to grandfather in.

Craig Simon