RE: [wg-c] Two Para D&I Summary (PPE)

Price-fixing is illegal when it is an aspect of a combination in
restraint of trade.  Antitrust laws prohibit monopolization, not
competitive schemae.  The test is whether the price has been
fixed at a level greater than would obtain under free
competition.  Since free competition results in the market
price becoming equal to the marginal cost of producing the
object of commerce, an agreement which fixes the price of
an object at the zero-profit level would not, under most antitrust
analyses, be open to objection.  Of course, there could be other
ways in which the schema could come under attack.  For
example, if another good or service were tied to the zero-profit
item (we make $0 profit on domain name registrations so long
as you use Evil ISP to host your virtual domain at a price of
$100/month + traffic and storage surcharges, and to make
sure you don't make an end run around us, our people are
the technical and zone contacts and we secure the zone file
with Guardian) then I daresay the business model is illegal.

Moreover, an agreement to operate registry services on a
strict cost-recovery basis does not fix the price of registrations
to the consumer.  In fact, it doesn't even fix the price to the
registrar, since a registry that operates more efficiently than
others will, presumably, lower its prices (otherwise how would
it still be operating on a cost recovery basis?).

Kevin J. Connolly
The opinions expressed are those of the author, not of Robinson
Silverman Pearce Aronsohn & Berman LLP
This note is not legal advice.  If it were, it would come with an invoice.
As usual, please disregard the trailer which follows.

>>> "Christopher Ambler" <cambler@iodesign.com> 04/10/00 04:03AM >>>
That's nice, Dave, but you didn't answer the question.

--
Christopher Ambler
chris@the.web