[wg-c] Re: [Nc-tlds] ICANN's Working Group C discussions on "Guidelines for the initialrollout of new gTLDs"

> -----------------------
>      So I've taken a shot at a revised version of S/K, to eliminate
> those problems.  The guidelines that follow reorganize Philip's
principles;
> reword them very slightly; and (most importantly) eliminate principle #1
> ("a gTLD should give the net user confidence that it stands for what it
> purports to stand for") in favor of the new language in guidelines 1 and
> 3.

I like what Jon has done here. The revisions in #1 and #2 offer ICANN
Board a bit more procedural substance than the original principles.

> (I don't think we should address multilingualism in this
> document.  I personally favor multilingualism, but it's a controversial
issue
> currently being addressed in the IETF and elsewhere, and deserves a WG of
its own;
> we shouldn't just throw in language about it at the last minute.)

I don't really agree with this. I think it confuses the issue of non-ASCII
domain names with the issue of new TLDs that are based on non-English
languages (e.g., ".banco"). The first is an issue for IETF, the second ICANN
can do regardless of how IDN comes out.