Re: [wg-c] S/K principles [Was: Working Group C agenda]

Jonathan,

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Jonathan Weinberg wrote:

> Guidelines for the initial rollout of new gTLDs
>
> 1. The initial rollout should include both open, unrestricted TLDs and
> chartered TLDs with more limited scope.  (In these guidelines, the term
> "gTLD" is used to refer to both.)

I think that calling both chartered and shaired 'generic' TLDs is a
mistake that will confuse issues down the road. I sould support a document
that made the distcinction between the two.

> 2. An application for a chartered TLD should explain what meaning will be
> imputed to the proposed TLD string, and how the new TLD will be perceived
> by the relevant population of net users.

we will never know how a TLD will be percieved by the public, changing the
perspective here will also make things clearer, rather than 'perceived'
change it to "marketed by the registry."

> 3. An application for a chartered TLD should explain how the registry will
> enforce the charter.  Possible enforcement mechanisms may be as simple as
> registrant self-selection (relying on the principle that registrants will
> typically not find it desirable to locate in incongruous TLDs) or as
> elaborate as pre-registration screening by the registry.

ICANN was never setup to provide Enforcement, Enforcement is a slippery
slope with chartered TLDs I think folks need to show that they have
thought through the issues that a chartered TLD and Enforcement will
evolve.

> 4. These guidelines should not be read to impose overly bureaucratic
> procedures on registries.

this statement glosses over implementation issues which are yet to be
defined. It soulnds nice, but we need principals that can be allplied not
ones that just make us feel good.

The rest of the principals I feel comfortable with but don't understand
how that can be applied.

-rick