Re: [Re: [Re: [RE: [wg-c] Excellent suggestion from slashdot -- apparently]]

That is another option; a secure site or mechanism, and that might work.
Certainly a combination of functions embodied by the NSI/Verisign confluence
would address this directly.  While looking around for decent sld names, we
found that all the most obvious ones in .com had long been taken. We don't
have right of eminent domain (sp?) so can't kick folks out of their names.
Maybe we'll try the resolution procedures or something like that.

Borrowing from another post, the SK principles embody exactly what we'd like
to achieve:

"The actual language in the S/K principles that goes to the question of
enforcement is #1:  "a gTLD should give the net user confidence that it
stands for what it purports to stand for." "

Ergo, this particular idea of a chartered TLD seems to fit the working groups
goals even if not exactly stated that way. The proposal of 6-9 new gTLDs might
work and everyone will cooperate to keep the registries accurate to their
intended purposes,and maybe not, politics being what it is. But I do know that
we could enforce and keep the registry accurate to its charter.

It would seem to me that very controlled chartered TLDs would not effect the
technical part of the DNS very much at all, but at that I"m a complete
neophyte.