Re: [wg-c] Choosing the intial testbed

At 22:42 22-03-2000 -0500, Milton Mueller wrote:
> > a simple constraint for gTLD my be that they are *not* trademarkable for
> > the purpose of being a gTLD.

Dear Milt:  I am commenting on your comment on Rick Wesson's comment on
somebody else's comment;-}

I think you missed Rick's point, Milt.  At least it is my point that the
USPTO has already ruled that a top level domain does not designate the
source of the goods, it is only a part of an address.  An SLD may, under
the right circumstances be trademarked.

Here is the reference:

                              EXAMINATION GUIDE NO. 2-99

                                       September 29, 1999

                MARKS COMPOSED, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, OF DOMAIN NAMES

         http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/tac/notices/guide299.htm

Regards, BobC

"I've sawed this board off three times, and it's *still* too short".

"Small choice between rotten apples."  Dr. U.B. Bray